Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Killer Apps
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Killer Apps

Killer Apps

KDE certainly has a lot going for it as a desktop, but let me tell about two KDE applications that have really won me over. First is the new release of the Quanta html editor. The bugs that where there before, which kept me from using it, are gone now. Quanta is not a WYSIWYG editor, rather it is a "development environment" for editing html and it excels at this. There are nice "wizards" for building tables and lists and such and the code is clean and validates. The editor's spell checker is html aware. In short, I like this program. It is a real winner.

Second is KTeXMaker, a LaTeX environment for KDE. This is a real killer app, IMHO. Again, lots of wizards to automat things. Terrific math support too. The environment links well with the various external programs you need when working with LaTeX, such as xdvi and gv (and the KDE versions, no less). There is a built in Konsole and debugger. You can run LaTeX by clicking a button and you can view the document the same way. There is also support for all the conversions- html, text, ps, and so forth. There is also a built in frontend to Gnuplot! And Xfig is accessable in the toolbar too. OMG! This puppy rocks if you need to do scientific data, plotting and reporting.

Two gripes. a) the spell checker is not LaTeX aware. This is easy enough to fix, but is a gross oversight on the part of the developers. Bad developers!

b) I want more keyboard short cuts.

Overall, however, KTexmaker may be the best Linux app I have come across to date. It is a powerful tool for serious work, but it is Mac-easy to use.

Re: Killer Apps

a real killer app in KDE is kdevelop imo. Sure, it's only usefull to developers but it's extremely easy to create a project with kdevelop. i'm not talking about wizards that'll provide code for u and that kinda stuff, but it takes care of setting up configure scripts and makefiles for instance. working with autoconf and automake to create configure scripts and makefiles is pretty annoying imo because it's not something u learn to do in a couple of minutes. Kdevelop however does it for u so all u need to do is code which is great cuz u don't waste time on makefiles and such.

Another great thing about kdevelop is some of the stuff u can see about ur project. for instance, if ur doing a c++ project in kde, there are views where u can see each class's methods, attributes and a lot of other neat stuff like that.

i had to use Microsoft Visual C++ at school last year, which also makes it possible for the developer to just create a project, code and not worry about anything else (apart from the damn thing crashing of course) and also provided neat views on classes and it's parts.

Well, Kdevelop is just as easy to use, if not easier than Visual C++, and it's totally free and open source.

if ur working on C/C++/QT/KDE projects, Kdevelop is something u should really check out and chances are u'll never want to go back to not using it again

The main problem with Kile (fka Ktexmaker2) and KDevelop is that they force you to use their own inferior editors. Those programs are unusable until they support using vim as the editor.

Killer apps in no particular order except for the first maybe :
    - vim
    - gcc
    - gnat
    - ocaml
    - python
    - perl
    - mozilla
    - xmms
    - gimp
    - OpenSSH
    - Emacs
    - zsh
    - ncftp
    - KDE
    - mutt
    - fetchmail
    - postfix

The main problem with Kile (fka Ktexmaker2) and KDevelop is that they force you to use their own inferior editors.
    yea that's true
    i don't know about Kile, but iirc in the next version of KDevelop u'll be able to choose between some different editors

Those programs are unusable until they support using vim as the editor.
    that's a little harsh
    the default editor from kdevelop is pretty customisable and if u play around with the settings for a while it's not that bad

The main problem with Kile (fka Ktexmaker2) and KDevelop is that they force you to use their own inferior editors. Those programs are unusable until they support using vim as the editor.
    Bullshit. Vim is not the be-all end-all editor. Sorry, but its not.

Bullshit. Vim is not the be-all end-all editor. Sorry, but its not.
    Agreed.

Killer app list:

KDevelop - The number 1. IDE, I take it over Visual C++ anyday

Konqueror - The number 1. Web browser.. I don't care what people tell me about Mozilla, Konq is fast, it renders beautifully and most of all, it has PRETTY AA fonts, and it integrates well with KDE.

MPlayer - Not strictly speaking a KDE killer app, but still nice.

XMMS - Proof that even though GTK is butt ugly, people code useful stuf for it.

gFTP - Proof that even though GTK is butt ugly, people code useful stuf for it.

Kmail - not as complete as evolution, but fast and it covers all my needs.

KNotes - I like them, nay I love them

Kopete - My personal favorite ICQ client (after LICQ cvs, which doesn't really work right now for me), I just wise I could get the other plugins to work.

KBounce - It's not a game, it's a life style.

Ksamegame - only thing keeping my girlfriend from pounding me for not having Windows installed...

Digger - I've been addicted to this game ever since my family got it's first computer back in the day

Xchat - Proof that even though GTK is butt ugly, people code useful stuf for it.

ViM - My editor of choice.

Bullshit. *Vim is not the be-all end-all editor. *Sorry, but its not. *
    Well, in my opinion it is. I believe that any program that needs to use an editor should have the option of allowing the users to choose whichever editors they please.

Well, in my opinion it is. I believe that any program that needs to use an editor should have the option of allowing the users to choose whichever editors they please.
    I agree that choice is good. I even agree that these apps will be better given that choice. I even go further and admit that given the choice, I would probably try Vim with these apps.

And I agree that it is your opinion that Vim is the be-all end-all editor. ;D

Emacs is trying much harder than Vim to be the be-end-all editor.