Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19
Got latest Kernel/module RPMs, now what?

Thread: Got latest Kernel/module RPMs, now what?

Got latest Kernel/module RPMs, now what?

RedHat 7.2

Downloaded latest and greatest group of RPMs from RedHat's ftp site (440 MB). From /usr/src, I execute

# rpm -i *.rpm

creates a few directories, but nothing like the "linux-2.X.X-xx". No makefiles, only readme's about the changes between versions. So whats next? How would I start the make xconfig; make dep; make clean; make bzImage. ..etc

I understand some intermediate stuf about building software projects, so do I have to move these files to appropiate locations manually? >

Appears that some of these are patches, others just replacement C & H files. Would a mother-of-all makefile do the trick?

up2date works ok, but very slow (my connection at home is 28.8). I can download from work (T1) source files to Zipdrive and carry home. Besides I seem to be reading some buggyness with up2date, I would like to become proficient with the upgrade process

Thanks folks

Re: Got latest Kernel/module RPMs, now what?

hello,
    welcome to LJR - your question will come in a little while.

Okay - check out the RPM cheat sheet in the Plain English Tutorial under installation. This will do for most things, you may also need to add a -F flag for some things - like the kernel.

ender is quite good with RedHat and I am posting in a rush right now...