Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corel Linux & Win ME

Corel Linux & Win ME

???I have a PIII 866 w/128 MB pc133, SBLIVE PCI card, TNT 2 M64 AGP card, conexant modem, and a 20 gig HD with one partition, and i was wondering if NE one knos how to install Corel Linux Deluxe and setup a boot manager (my partition is WINME - FAT32) and what i would need to do it. thanx ???

Re: Corel Linux & Win ME

I would hold off on installing Corel Linux Deluxe, and here's why. Corel dumped their Linux division almost a year ago. They sold it to a company called Xandros. The version you have is one that from my personal experience (I got a review copy from them when they first introduced Corel Linux) is just a little bit buggy.

In addition to being a little buggy, Corel based the distro on Debian, yet did very little in the way of supporting the community or even giving credit to the best non-commercial distro around.

That being said, I'd recommend getting an ISO of one of the more recent distributions like Mandrake 8.2, Red Hat 7.2, SuSE 8.0 to name a few. Give them a try before you try installing what is now a defunct distro.

Well I would love to get the ISO of another distro but w/ 56k and 5 other ppl in the house and one phone line :-/ meh it dont work too well.

There are websites where you can purchase distros very reasonably. I ran Corel for over a year; GonzoJohn's right- it's buggy. That being said, with all its faults, I liked it. However it's very out of date. It's based on Debian "Slink", and "Potato" replaced that as the stable distribution 18 months ago; that means that all updates are archived, so apt-get won't be able to work to full efficiency, plus there's no development going on for any of the packages in that version of Debian.
    If your'e willing to put up with all that, Corel's a good learning platform, but after a month or so, ypu'll want to move on, I'm sure.

Yah lol It would be a great thing if it would work for me lol

see if you can find a linux friend with bandwidth :-P

at my school, some freshie who i hadn't even met was talking of linux but needed a cd so i dled slackware and managed to track him down to deliver it

then a while later my friend is talking to someone else from my school (online) thru a mutual friend and he finds out she wants linux, so i burned her a cd also.

try and you can probably find someone willing to dl/burn for you

yah lol thatd b alright cept im the only one in town with a burner, and i am stuck w/ 56 k while every one else has fibre runnin at 10 megs a second >

yah lol thatd b alright cept im the only one in town with a burner, and i am stuck w/ 56 k while every one else has fibre runnin at 10 megs a second *>
    *picks up box*
    *walks to neighbors house*
    *downloads*
    *goes home*
    *burns*

doable?

hmmm you might also be able to download it in segments... i've tried compressing the isos before with little success.... if you lived in chicago i'd help you out

Yah, maybe I can download it with a d/l manager...

Order a CD from cheapbytes. About $3.