Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Installing tar.gz Software
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Installing tar.gz Software

Associate

Installing tar.gz Software

Can someone please point me to a very basic step by step an explanation of how to install software with the tar.gz extension? I have been hitting my head against a wall trying to figure this out since I got Linux working on my computer about two months ago without success. I have several books on Linux (Linux for Dummies, Idiot's Guide, Mandrake User Guide, etc.) but I must be too dumb or too much of an idiot becuase I cannot under what I should be doing to install tar.gz software.

Also, I could use some help on how to find and then run new applications once the software is installed. I have several cd with new programs I would like to try but I cannot figure out how. I can mount them and find the program I want but once I click on a tar.gz I quickly fall on my face. klrmar ???

Re: Installing tar.gz Software

Are you using Mandrake? Why not just stick to RPMs until you learn more?

Before we get into this any further, are you somewhat familiar with using the command line, either the console or an xterm, konsole, or similar virtual terminal to create a directory? Do you use the 'more' or 'less' utilities to read text files? If so, then we can probably get you an answer in one page.

Associate

I am using Mandrake 8.1 and have used RPM when I can. For example, one of the cd's I have with new software is copy of Red Hat power tools 7.1. I can run the software package manager O.K. but after that it all seems to go wrong because I cannot figure out how to find or use an application my computer tells me it just successfully installed.

With regard to my command line familiarity, ... well I know what a command line is. I also know how to open a terminal and, if need be, become root using "su" but after that knowledge level falls off pretty quick. I do not use the "more" or "less" very well but I think I might be able to figure them out.

When I have tried the tar zxvpf command with a file or directory name what I get back is either a message telling me no such or directory exist or a string of information that might as well be greek as far as I am concerned. klrmar

When I have tried the tar zxvpf command with a file or directory name what I get back is either a message telling me no such or directory exist or a string of information that might as well be greek as far as I am concerned. klrmar
    I was just guessing at first, but now I'm pretty sure of it: You're just not ready to be installing .tar.gz files. I'd love to help you, and I do know exactly what you need to do to install it, but I'm afraid it would only confuse you further.

What you need to do is spend a lot of time on the command line, become very familiar with it, read manuals, and learn how to compile software. Then you'll be ready to install .tar.gz files.

Why not just stick to RPMs until you learn more?
    uhm, with that way of thinking we'd all still be using windows

open a terminal, cd into the directory where u saved the tar.gz file
    then type:
    tar zxvf filename.tar.gz

then cd into the directory it created
    there's usually a file called README or INSTALL inside the directory. read them both using ur favourite editor. instrunctions on how to install the software are usually listed in those files.

in most cases it will be as simple as executing the following commands (inside the directory):
    ./configure
    make
    su
    make install

but they may differ from package to package so be sure to read those 2 files

Good Guru

First of all, you need to mount the CD to read ( if you haven't already ). It has many variations and ways but let me show you one.
    Code:
    mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdxx /cdrom
    mount = command
    iso9660 = cdrom type
    /dev/hdxx is where your cdrom is attached to; e.g, hdc for first drive on IDE channel 2
    /cdrom is the directory that your CD will mount to so that you can read files.

Then, for easier sake, just copy the program files you want to install.
    Code:
    cp -p /cdrom/program1 /home/yourlogin/program/
    cp = command
    -p = switch to creat the directory without needing first created
    /cdrom/program1 = program name you wanted to install
    /home/yourlogin/program/ = where you wanted to do the install stuff

Then do as Ralix had pointed out with
    tar zxvf filename.tar.gz
    ./configure
    make
    su ( became super-user )
    make install

Associate

This all sounded doable put perhaps I really am out of my depth. Of course you never know and never learn until you try and I intend to keep trying. However, on this attempt I was unsuccessful.

I use the KDE archiver to save/open a game file (pengswim) to my home directory. The archiver would only save as read only but suggested I try renaming the file in order to perform other tasks. I did and then opened a terminal and tried the cd tar zxvf etc. This gave me a long list of information (file?) among them was a readme. an install and makefile. No matter what I did I was unable to get anything other than error messages when I tried to access these file.

I tried typing ./configure and got a message saying no such file or directory. I got nowhere with any of the other file or suggested actions recommed by Compunuts. It was kind of frustrating. I think I will take a break and come back at it again a bit later. klrmar :'(

Please post the listing of the directory. Most tar.gz software releases use configure but some do not (using just makefiles or a special install file instead).

Sounds like you need to change into the newly created directory (probably called pengswim). Try cd pengswim, then use 'more' or 'less' to read those files. That may do it. Of course, if you post the directory listing, as Ashcrow suggested, then we'll know for sure.