Thread: How to upgrade by having a new.iso

How to upgrade by having a new.iso

I have RH7.2 sucessfully installed.

I d/l the RH7.3 .iso and am stumped as to how to upgrade from 7.2 to 7.3, even after perusing the LDP HOWTO, the PETS here, and reading what skimpy stuff I found.

Can anyone lay it out for me? the new .iso is on the same /dev/ hda5 that needs upgrading.

TIA,

Ken

Re: How to upgrade by having a new.iso

Are you not wanting to burn the iso on CD? If not you'll need to mount the ISO via loopback device like mount -o loop valhalla-i386-disc1.iso /path/tosome/dir and the run it directly from there.

Considering that
    1) the .iso is 668,499,968 and I have 650 MB CDRs (oh I do have a few called 700 MB, but have never gotten much over 650 onto them)

2) In Linux, I dunno-how to burn anything, have only used 'doze apps for that (but would like to know how)

3) I'm a newly converted longtime dos/ 'doze user and really want to find a way to totally replace windows, but the upcurve is slow for me.

4) After d/l the .iso with a dialup *ugh*, but thanks to wget, not too painful, have spent almost three days just downloading the darn thing, I want to get it up a.s.a.p., but right.

If the proposed loopback command above would work, isn't that a time saver over burning/install?

It can be a time saver but most people will say it's much better to burn it since you have a hardcopy that you can turn to if you need to reinstall it, reupgrade, install some packages from, install on other machines, etc ...

Learning how Linux works is a lot like the way people learn Windows/DOS at first. It seems hard and imposible but after a little while it startes to get really easy.

Good Guru

1) the .iso is 668,499,968 and I have 650 MB CDRs (oh I do have a few called 700 MB, but have never gotten much over 650 onto them)
    668,499,968 bytes = 668499968/1024=652,832 Kilobytes=652832/1024=637.53125 MB

So your 650 MB CDR disks are just fine.
    2) In Linux, I dunno-how to burn anything, have only used 'doze apps for that (but would like to know how)
    It involve much more than just issuing the command. Why not start a thread about how to do it in some forums and we will get you going. Tell us what you have done, how is your set up ( HW+SW) and all that info.
    3) I'm a newly converted longtime dos/ 'doze user *and really want to find a way to totally replace windows, but the upcurve is slow for me.
    Take it easy and give it sometime. No one here master Linux in a couple of months. How long have you taken learning DOS/Windows to get to where you are now?? The same way with Linux.
    If the proposed loopback command above would work, isn't that a time saver over burning/install?
    Like Ashcrow said, it's for the best if you needed it later. Say if you wanted to try something and downloading it will take a long time. Or what if you screw up your install/upgrade and got your whole drive screwed?? Then you will have something you can work with. HDD can be erased with a click or a command but CD are not.

If you feel comfortable with Windows tools, you can also burn the Linux ISOs with Windows software such as Easy CD creator or Roxio. ISOs are ISOs no matter it's Linux stuff or Windows stuff.

Thanks, CompuNuts for your kind and considered, competant reply.

Yes, I know I'm anxious and frustrated, and yes, I have been a long time in getting to where I am with other OS, including way back to punch cards on ancient Data Processing gear, calculators, interpreters, etc, then 360's then on to dos/msdos/ et al. Now that I've finally gotten Linux to run after a terrible bout with what turned out to be a hard disk problem (damn Seagate that gave /other/ errors, and I thought I was doomed to live in B. Gate's land forever), but a new drive got me going.

I'm really not a slow learner, and appreciate the help here.

If you feel comfortable with Windows tools, you can also burn the Linux ISOs with Windows software such as Easy CD creator or Roxio. ISOs are ISOs no matter it's Linux stuff or Windows stuff.
    Sure, I am able to use Roxio and/or Iomega's burn apps, and have recently learned how to mount my windoze stuff in Linux but don't know how to 'mount' the Linux stuff in windoze, to be able to access the .iso I put there. And yes, I'd really prefer to have the .iso stashed on a CDr for all the reasons you and Ashcrow point out, just didn't know how ;-)

I will start a thread and see how to get the burner working in Linux, as well as my needs to get the silly sound card recognized (It's a C-Media CMI8738, and I have the "how to build the driver ", but it is way complicated for my weary head with brain-farts)

If I could burn it from 'doze, I could move on to the next challenge.

Thanks again!

Good Guru

Yes, I know I'm anxious and frustrated, and yes, I have been a long time in getting to where I am with other OS, including way back to punch cards on ancient Data Processing gear, calculators, interpreters, etc, then 360's then on to dos/msdos/ et al.
    Well then consider yourself way ahead of me. I started out with 386/486s with DOS in grade school so .....

and have recently learned how to mount my windoze stuff in Linux *but don't know how to 'mount' the Linux stuff in windoze, to be able to access the .iso I put there.
    If you can mount Windows partition, all you need is copy it from your downloaded directory to your mounted Windows partition. It's a two way street rather than one way. You can move to and from Windows partition without having to boot into Windows.

as well as my needs to get the silly sound card recognized (It's a C-Media CMI8738, and I have the "how to build the driver ", but it is way complicated for my weary head with brain-farts)
    No need to sweat with "building the driver". I have exact the same card on this box with Red Hat 7.2. The support is already there. It uses "cmpci" driver.
    If I could burn it from 'doze, I could move on to the next challenge.
    You will be at the next challenge in no time ....