Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Praise for LyX

Praise for LyX

LyX rocks. Not only is a killer front end for LaTeX, but with its sgml support, I can pretty much do anything I want, need, desire with it. I can really like this "write once" output anything system. Want to print your document on paper? Output .dvi or .ps. Html? No problem- use docbook or linuxdoc formats.

Plus it is easy to use and just downright fun.

Probably not the best for die-hard LaTeX gurus who like to make their own commands and styles, though you can, but for us dumbass end users who just want to make documents, it is tops!

Re: Praise for LyX

Yes, it's a shame more people don't use it than those who use your typical WYSIWYG word processors. Not having to think about formatting all the time is a godsend.

Probably not the best for die-hard LaTeX gurus who like to make their own commands and styles, though you can, but for us dumbass end users who just want to make documents, it is tops!
    I think it's all around less flexible than straight LaTeX. For instance, you can't run it in a console SSH session. It has most of the benefits of LaTeX, but also most of the annoyances of a GUI word processor

I think it's all around less flexible than straight LaTeX. For instance, you can't run it in a console SSH session. It has most of the benefits of LaTeX, but also most of the annoyances of a GUI word processor
    It is an X application, so of course you can't run it in console.

As to annoyances, well, not really. I find it to be a nice application that does a good job of staying out of my way while I write. I have used straight LaTeX quite a bit, but I find LyX to just be an all around great front end. I like the integration of helper apps, like xdvi and gv and I like being able to create pdf with the click of a button. I like the nice table maker, which is much easiser than hand coding for me.

LyX is a app that lets end users access the reall power of Linux in a nice, easy to use package.

Shoot, between LyX and Midnight Commander, who needs anything else?

(ok, and Mozilla...)

I like the integration of helper apps, like xdvi and gv
    What kind of integration does it have?

and I like being able to create pdf with the click of a button.
    And I can create pdf files with a single command. What's your point?

I like the nice table maker, which is much easiser than hand coding for me.
    I'll give you that one. Everytime I want to make a table in LaTeX, it feels like I have to relearn the whole procedure, it's so complicated!

Shoot, between LyX and Midnight Commander, who needs anything else?
    s/Midnight Commander/zsh

What kind of integration does it have?

And I can create pdf files with a single command. *What's your point?

I'll give you that one. *Everytime I want to make a table in LaTeX, it feels like I have to relearn the whole procedure, it's so complicated!

s/Midnight Commander/zsh
    Integration: Click view dvi and the file opens in a seperate xdvi window (or any other .dvi viewer you care to set). As you continue to edit you file, you simply hit "update dvi" to see how the changes are going. Same with ps. Same with pdf and html, with their respecive viewers.

Built in spell checking via ispell - whole document or just selected parts. Nice.

pdf: one comand or one click. No biggy, but I can do from inside the editor. Granted, no biggy.

Table: Yup. agreeement!

zsh: Have not used it. No opinion. I like bash+mc.

With xv installed, you can import Word docs into LyX. You get all the text and a good chunk of the layout as well. Not great, but quite workable.

This program really is the document processor!

Kind Mastermind

Ok, I'm sold, when I get home from work I think that I will fire up LyX and give it a shot. Sounds pretty sweet to me. I like the idea of being able to produce pdf files and being able to view/modify doc files, too. Must go read man pages tonight before I get home.

Integration: Click view dvi and the file opens in a seperate xdvi window (or any other .dvi viewer you care to set). As you continue to edit you file, you simply hit "update dvi" to see how the changes are going. Same with ps. Same with pdf and html, with their respecive viewers.
    Ummm... xdvi does that by itself... so does gv... so does xpdf... so does your favorite web browser.

Built in spell checking via ispell - whole document or just selected parts. Nice.
    Vim.

pdf: one comand or one click. No biggy, but I can do from inside the editor. Granted, no biggy.
    I can do it from my editor, too.

Ummm... xdvi does that by itself... so does gv... so does xpdf... so does your favorite web browser. *
    Don't you have to rerun LaTeX first, or ps2pdf or whatever. *In LyX, its is all automated. *Of course you can probably write a bunch of macros yourself for your editor and do the same thing. *I'm just to lazy to do that.

As to Vim, well, I don't much care for Vi-like editors. *Been back and forth enough times to know that.