Thread: RH up2date

RH up2date

Ok. I switched my mobo/CPU's around, and now I have it running smooth. The only problem now is that I don't know how to remove the current entry of DL'ing the 2.4.18-4 patch. Right now I'm using the 2.4.18-3, since the -4 is set to my old hardware setup. Can someone help me? I just want to be able to update the 2.4.18-3 to 2.4.18-4 with my current kernel settings.

Re: RH up2date

Ok. I switched my mobo/CPU's around, and now I have it running smooth. The only problem now is that I don't know how to remove the current entry of DL'ing the 2.4.18-4 patch. Right now I'm using the 2.4.18-3, since the -4 is set to my old hardware setup. Can someone help me? I just want to be able to update the 2.4.18-3 to 2.4.18-4 with my current kernel settings.
    Just manually download the 2.4.18-4 kernel that matches your arch from ftp://updates.redhat.com/7.3/en/os/$ARCH then rpm -ivh it. You should also re-run rhn_register to adjust your setup, or remove the system from the RHN page at Red Hat, and re-register it again.

Ok, did all that. Now after updating, the new kernel (2.4.18-4) wont work. It seems like it's trying to config the kernel with my old setting, before I switched mobos. Where is it getting the config from?

Ok, did all that. Now after updating, the new kernel (2.4.18-4) wont work. It seems like it's trying to config the kernel with my old setting, before I switched mobos. Where is it getting the config from?
    /etc/sysconfig/hardware or something.

Try running 'kudzu'

Good Guru

Did it detect all of your new shit that is on the mobo you just slapped in? It may not have gotten it all detected. I dont recall at the moment, but there is a file that has all of the hardware that kudzu supposedly told RH to use. When I figure out what file, Ill post it. IIRC, sometimes with RH mobo resources aren't always updated properly when updating an existing install.

Ok. *I switched my mobo/CPU's around, *and now I have it running smooth. *The only problem now is that I don't know how to remove the current entry of DL'ing the 2.4.18-4 patch. *Right now I'm using the 2.4.18-3, *since the -4 is set to my old hardware setup. *Can someone help me? *I just want to be able to update the 2.4.18-3 to 2.4.18-4 with my current kernel settings.
    Re-run the rhn_register program and it will update your subscription to RHN then you go to their website disable your old configuration and enable your new one. At least that is what I have to do. Then rerun up2date and it should be available for dl.

Hope it helps,
    Ras

Re-run the rhn_register program and it will update your subscription to RHN then you go to their website disable your old configuration and enable your new one. At least that is what I have to do. Then rerun up2date and it should be available for dl.
    Tried that. Still loading the old config. I can't get the kernel to load past the drives. :P I ran kudzu, rh-register, removed the old account, started a new one, rm'ed the 2.4.18-4 kernel packages and dirs, upgraded, and still no luck.

Tried that. Still loading the old config. I can't get the kernel to load past the drives. :P I ran kudzu, rh-register, removed the old account, started a new one, rm'ed the 2.4.18-4 kernel packages and dirs, upgraded, and still no luck.
    What do you mean 'get past the drives' ?

After initializing the IRQ's, it does the mounting of the drives, and then stops. The lines that occur right before it starts reading my IDE devices. That's when it stops.

After initializing the IRQ's, it does the mounting of the drives, and then stops. The lines that occur right before it starts reading my IDE devices. That's when it stops.
    Could it be that your drives have new names now? /dev/hde1 instead of /dev/hda1 or something?