Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Telnet

Thread: Telnet

Telnet

Hi, If I (or someone else) wanted to telnet into my RH box, is there anything special that needs to be done besides opening up port 23 on my router? Are there any files that need modifying? Thanks.

Re: Telnet

I can't answer your question, but I have always wanted to be the first to say this: DON'T USE TELNET, USE SSH!!

Telnet is very unsafe, ssh is not.

Hi, If I (or someone else) wanted to telnet into my RH box, is there anything special that needs to be done besides opening up port 23 on my router? Are there any files that need modifying? Thanks.
    You would have to enable the telnet server on Red Hat. chkconfig --level 2345 telnet on

but as stated before, you should use ssh instead. chkconfig --level 2345 sshd on

Ok, few things.... There was a command not found error when I did the chkconfig command. Do I have to add this to my path? I was still able to login from a local machine because in my RH 7.3 setup, I allowed incoming SSH. I was able to SSH to my RH box using the local 192.168.... address; however, if I'm not on my local network, what address do I need to connect to? It's to the domain right? Problem is (and this might sound stupid) I'm not sure of the domain. Is there a quick and easy way to find this out? I don't recall setting one during the installation. Thanks.

Advisor

/sbin/chkconfig

Ok, few things.... There was a command not found error when I did the chkconfig command. Do I have to add this to my path? I was still able to login from a local machine because in my RH 7.3 setup, I allowed incoming SSH. I was able to SSH to my RH box using the local 192.168.... address; however, if I'm not on my local network, what address do I need to connect to? It's to the domain right? Problem is (and this might sound stupid) I'm not sure of the domain. Is there a quick and easy way to find this out? I don't recall setting one during the installation. Thanks.
    Use 'su -' to get to root, instead of 'su'. The - will enable the root profile, and $PATH env.

As far as outside your lan, you will have to forward the ssh port from your internet sharing device to the linux box, and use your external IP address.

Use 'su -' to get to root, instead of 'su'. *The - will enable the root profile, and $PATH env.

As far as outside your lan, you will have to forward the ssh port from your internet sharing device to the linux box, and use your external IP address.
    Ah ok, don't know why I didn't think of that. *As far as the path variable, I just PATH=:./bin:/usr/bin:/sbin *and put that in a .profile file.