Thread: adding a hard drive

adding a hard drive

In my little 133 file server I wanna pop in a 10 gig on the secondary ide controller. Anyways how do I format it as ext2fs or ext3fs and where should I mount this drive so it can share mp3s and programs to 4 linux and windows computers used by my family?

Kind Mastermind

Re: adding a hard drive

In my little 133 file server I wanna pop in a 10 gig on the secondary ide controller. Anyways how do I format it as ext2fs or ext3fs and where should I mount this drive so it can share mp3s and programs to 4 linux and windows computers used by my family?
    Will the bios correctly configure a 10gig hdd? I had to update the bios of my '1996' computer (p75) in order to 'see' the 8.4 gig drive I dropped into it. By the way, you will probably have to format a partition with fat32 in order for it to be seen by windows. I could be mistaken, as I don't have a network at home. Anyway, just pop it into the computer, and run cfdisk. Type cfdisk /dev/hd? at the cli. You will be given the opportunity to set up partitions and get them ready for formatting. Then, run mke2fs /dev/hd?. See: http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/P...formating.html

Hope this helps.

pop it in

at shell prromt fdisk the drive, i.e. fdisk /dev/hdc
    the hit n to create a linux partition - (type 82) - this is for ext2 or ext3.
    make sure it is type 82 by hitting t and entering 82. to see what you have hit p - you can accept the defaults and you will have one partition.

hit m if you need help. then hit w - it it written.

okay - now we have one big partition called /dev/hdc1

to make it ext3 type
    tune2fs /dev/hdc1
    to make it ext2
    mkfs.ext2 /dev/hdc1

now we can put an entry in fstab - lets call it mp3s

it can look like this:
    Code:
    /dev/hdc1  /mp3s  ext3  defaults 1 2

to share it with linux boxes put an entry in the file /etc/exports for it - mine looks like this
    Code:
    /mp3s sparches(ro) pookie(ro) 
    /home sparches(rw,insecure)
    be sure to ahve NFS running.

for the windows computer you need something in your smb.conf file

The bios looks like a relativily new bios with the blue background and you highlight them in yellow when you select the menus. Anyways I had to set the 4.3 as LBA to make it work in windows but the full 4.3 worked in linux without being set as LBA. I guess I'll have to get the 10 gig or whatever else I find at the computer show this weekend and just try it. BTW anyone else going to computer fest 2001 in toronto 23-25?