Thread: Printing.

Printing.

Ok. I've used printtool, and I've configured CUPS properly. It prints the test page great. But now, how do I actually print something? In Opera, when I tell it to print the page, the list of printers is empty. Yes, CUPS is running, and it's listening on port 631.

Re: Printing.

What distro?

Mandrake 8.0 (Cooker)

Lol, I suppose it doesn't matter terribly, because I'll (hopefully) be switching to Debian this weekend... but I'm assuming I'll have the same problem, I guess.

Mandrake 8.0 (Cooker)

Lol, I suppose it doesn't matter terribly, because I'll (hopefully) be switching to Debian this weekend... but I'm assuming I'll have the same problem, I guess.
    Probably not. I have Debian installed on my Linux partition and I have configured CUPS and use it when required. I can't remember if I ever tried to print from Opera but I have successfully printed ABI Word documents, text & pdf files. In order to print outside applications you can save files in an appropriate format (usually postscript or pdf) and use the program xpp to print the document. Hope this helps.

Ok, thanks. I never thought of saving from one format into a different format that can print

print to a ps
    "lp foo.ps"

although sometimes that doesnt work for me

"ps2pdf foo.ps"
    "lp foo.pdf"

is a backup.

Just opened up Opera in Debian and found a site I wanted to print. My setup will also not print directly to the printer, however, if you select print to file and save the file in your home directory with the extension .ps and then use xpp to print or gv (ghostview?) to view and print the file things should work. One thing I noticed is that hyperlinks sort of wonk up the spacing but otherwise the printed output is satisfactory. Enjoy.

Thanks

a littel off subject............

how can i print from a terminal window? meaning print whats IN the terminal windows? also, how can i copy text from a terminal to paste into a file somewhere or say messageboard.......?(just an example)

thanx

SD

how can i print from a terminal window? meaning print whats IN the terminal windows?
    Copy and paste it to a file, print the file

also, how can i copy text from a terminal to paste into a file somewhere or say messageboard.......?
    Well, this might have something to do with the software I have installed, and I'm not sure if it works for you, but I can just select the text in the window (with the mouse) and it automatically 'copies' it for me. Then I middle click somewhere else, and it pastes.