Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the point?!

What's the point?!

BlueIllusion link

<rant>
    Can someone please explain what the friggin' point would be to developing a new operating system nowadays? If I'm not mistaken, we're in an age of OS glut, and I, for one, am sick and damn tired of all the OS this and OS that; Like Linux, but better; Feels like Windows, but better; Looks like Mac, but better; OS-yo-mamma... It's really getting rather sickning, eh? Is it just me, or what? A hobby OS?! Paaahlease :roll: . That's what Linux started out as (kind of), but now anyone who can code thinks that their OS will end up as popular as Linux has? Give me a break!

Aren't there more worthy problems to solve with new code? Can't these guys find better ways to use their time and energy, than to do what's already been done to death? Isn't there enough source code out there to study as a hobby, without having to build a whole freakin' new OS to hobby around with?! Am I about to blow a brain vein for nothing, or what? Somebody slap me, please!... I mean; if I had a dollar for every 'live', Knoppix based operating system out there right now, I'd have a lot of dollars (same for RPM based OS's, and Ports based, Emerge, what-have-you... ). And don't even get me started on those European fools who're still trying to revive The AmigaOS. I happened to love the Amiga, back in the day (what, about 20 years ago?... ); but please, stop beating a dead horse... Let it die, why don't you?!

If I'm missing something, please, oh please enlighten me.

</rant>
    Steve

is there a link to the actual OS?

Advisor
    Quote Originally Posted by snct";p="3444
    BlueIllusion link

<rant>
    Can someone please explain what the friggin' point would be to developing a new operating system nowadays? If I'm not mistaken, we're in an age of OS glut, and I, for one, am sick and damn tired of all the OS this and OS that; Like Linux, but better; Feels like Windows, but better; Looks like Mac, but better; OS-yo-mamma... It's really getting rather sickning, eh? Is it just me, or what? A hobby OS?! Paaahlease :roll: . That's what Linux started out as (kind of), but now anyone who can code thinks that their OS will end up as popular as Linux has? Give me a break!

Aren't there more worthy problems to solve with new code? Can't these guys find better ways to use their time and energy, than to do what's already been done to death? Isn't there enough source code out there to study as a hobby, without having to build a whole freakin' new OS to hobby around with?! Am I about to blow a brain vein for nothing, or what? Somebody slap me, please!... I mean; if I had a dollar for every 'live', Knoppix based operating system out there right now, I'd have a lot of dollars (same for RPM based OS's, and Ports based, Emerge, what-have-you... ). And don't even get me started on those European fools who're still trying to revive The AmigaOS. I happened to love the Amiga, back in the day (what, about 20 years ago?... ); but please, stop beating a dead horse... Let it die, why don't you?!

If I'm missing something, please, oh please enlighten me.

</rant>
    one of the best ways to learn to code, is to re-implement existing solutions... would you call that a waste too? Face it people have needs whether they be educational or technical that nobody else can predict or comprehend. Oh yea, and cause it's just plain fun sometimes, who cares if it's popular (/me goes back to improving his irc client... oh wait maybe i should work on something else since there's a billion irc clients already)

If they stopped making different car models because they already had enough, we might all be driving Edsels, Desotos or Ramblers (or worse yet Model Ts).

Sometimes they have to keep doing it till they get it right. (Meanwhile it keeps a lot of people employed ... or at least off the streets.)

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by reharper";p="3452
    If they stopped making different car models because they already had enough, we might all be driving Edsels, Desotos or Ramblers (or worse yet Model Ts).

Sometimes they have to keep doing it till they get it right. (Meanwhile it keeps a lot of people employed ... or at least off the streets.)

Russ
    Good point. Great first post! Welcome to the site!

Mentor

Re: What's the point?!

Hey, careful there, I used to make Ramblers (well Gremblins at least).

Linux seems very organic, Look at the Distrowatch list, look at the ones that have been dropped.

I am with SNCT in that there are too many, but that will change. Many are specific to a country/language/culture and thats great.

But we sure keep the CD manufacturers going. Burn Burn Burn

Well... Obviously I wanted to open this up for debate and discussion. My comments may have been a bit harsh (and I did mark them as a rant), but I really have been fed up with some of the "junk" that I've been seeing over at DistroWatch lately. And I didn't mean to bully, or single out that particular distro by any other means than to point out the "hobby" aspect of it. I'm not sure I agree with the car model anology though. Both the engineers and the customers usually understand the improvements that are made from model year to model year; but I'm sure that's not the case with all the different Linux distributions out there (but some automotive improvements do come about more gradually than others).

Anyway... Here's an article that makes some good points on both sides of the issue.

Not all of us in the community are coders or developers (or even sys admins), so I think most of you will agree that there are different levels of understanding and usage in all aspects of Linux. Ultimately, those that code can do what they wish; but others can comment on it as they wish as well.
    Steve

Advisor
    My problem with your comments is that new coders should be _encouraged_ to implement stuff that interests them, and already exists. It gives them an example to learn by. And they should also be _encouraged_ to release it. Getting meaningful feedback is very valuable, unfortunatly i would say "dont bother it's been done already" is far from meaningful.

remember, how the _fuck_ can there be to many options? you don't have to use something just because it exists.

I really don't see a way that anyone can rightfully whine about what somebody else makes, reportining bugs == good and appreciated, but you are simply whining because of what it is.

AFTERTHOUGHT: that article is a crock of shit. i don't really give a fuck about somebody that is to dumb to google and look up what a distro is. And IMHO if there really is anyone that stupid, they shouldn't be using a computer, period.

Quote Originally Posted by maccorin";p="3477
    My problem with your comments is that new coders should be _encouraged_ to implement stuff that interests them, and already exists. It gives them an example to learn by. And they should also be _encouraged_ to release it. Getting meaningful feedback is very valuable, unfortunatly i would say "dont bother it's been done already" is far from meaningful.

remember, how the _fuck_ can there be to many options? you don't have to use something just because it exists.

I really don't see a way that anyone can rightfully whine about what somebody else makes, reportining bugs == good and appreciated, but you are simply whining because of what it is.

AFTERTHOUGHT: that article is a crock of shit. i don't really give a fuck about somebody that is to dumb to google and look up what a distro is. And IMHO if there really is anyone that stupid, they shouldn't be using a computer, period.
    Once again... Your'e looking at this from (and only from) a coder's point of view. If you insist on being closed minded about this (heh... big surprise there :roll: ) then you can go ahead and act like an abusive ass all you want... And your ignorance will shine like a gem. Talk about whining?

As I stated above; there are many different aspects to Linux and Open Source, and all different types of folks in the community, doing all different types of things with the software. You can't be much of a coder if you can't see that, because you must understand the problem before you can solve it. And if you're only interested in solving your own problems, then why are you here on a public forum? If that's your bag, why don't you just go off in a corner somewhere and masterbate on your own? There have been some intelligent comments on this topic, but maccorin's comments really don't seem to fit that description.
    Steve

Well also, if it wasn't for microsofts strangle hold on the market, Operating Systems really could be a comodity item. I mean if everything was open and accessable, pretty much everything could be cross-platform leaving the only deciding factor in an OS your **gulp** choice.