Thread: New Linux user; don't know what I'm doing

New Linux user; don't know what I'm doing

I am really new to Linux. I just installed Red Hat Linux 6.1 on my system, but there are a couple thing I can't figure out how to do.
    1. Right now it is set on 640x480 resolution, 256 colors. I can't figure out how to switch it to 800x600, 16-bit color, like I use in Win98.
    2. I can't figure out how to get internet to work on it. I went through the dial-up connection setup and that appeared to go fine, and it seems to dial up fine, but Netscape won't go to any sites.
    I know a decent amount about Win3.1/95/98/ME and DOS, but when it comes to Linux, I am clueless. Any suggestions?

Re: New Linux user; don't know what I'm doing

for the internet your dns is prolly not setup. in /etc/resolv.conf you need a line like:

nameserver 12.34.56.78

except with the ip for the dns server, winipcfg should show it.

for the resolution try hitting control-alt-keypad+

if that works then edit /etc/XF86Config and change the line that says Modes "640x480" "800x600" to Modes "800x600" "640x480" and the default depth to whatever you want

good luck

Red Hat Linux 6.1
    This is quite old. There are remote exploits against the default install.

1. Right now it is set on 640x480 resolution, 256 colors. I can't figure out how to switch it to 800x600, 16-bit color, like I use in Win98.
    ctrl+alt+keypad "plus" will switch resolution between all properly configured in /etc/XF86Config.

If there aren't any more configured resolutions try (as root):
    Xconfigurator or xf86config (case sensitive !)
    If you have problems to get it working post everything you know about your graphics card. Someone will probably be able to help.

If you're brave you may edit /etc/XF86Config by hand. "man XF86Config" should give you all the info needed (myself I start from an autoconfigured file and fine tune it by hand, YMMV).

2. I can't figure out how to get internet to work on it. I went through the dial-up connection setup and that appeared to go fine, and it seems to dial up fine, but Netscape won't go to any sites.
    Can you ping ip's ?
    Try /sbin/ifconfig -a. Does it show your ppp interface to be configured and UP ? If this is the case all you should do is to pick a nameserver (add an entry in /etc/resolv.conf - nameserver the-ip-of-your-nameserver). To make it survive a reboot you need to edit /etc/sysconfig/network, IIRC.

You might have much more luck if you tried out Red Hat 7.2, their newest release. Generaly older distros are a pain to install

The Netscape thing you described - it typically happened when there is no DNS servers configured. In RH7.x you can specify DNS servers in the properties of the dial-up connection - my point here is that you don't need to edit resolv.conf, simply add it to the propeties of dial-up connection.
    P.S. I'm not sure you have this option with 6.1 distro.