Thread: System hangs w/Cyrix MII

System hangs w/Cyrix MII

Hi, I am new to Linux. Recently, I got the RedHat 7.2 distribution of Linux and installed it my Cyrix MII 333, 96 mb ram, 4.3 gb hd,32x cd-rom. After, it finished installing, when it boots up it, the system hangs and gives me the following error:

Initializing RT netlink socket
    apm:BIOS version 1.2 Flags 0x03(Driver version 1.14)

I know it is looking for the network card which I enabled in installation. Is there any way to resolve this problem. Thanks.

Re: System hangs w/Cyrix MII

hello,
    i am not sure what bootloader you are using - for LILO try entering linux 1 at the prompt, you may need to hit ctrl+x if you have graphical boot set up. at this point the it will enter runlevel 1 - which starts up with far fewer services - i.e. - no network.

another more probable solution would be to disable the apm features in your BIOS.
    HTH

Good Guru

Linux rarely dies all out like that during boot. Even with an incorrect driver. You have more htan likely a problem with the APM module. First disable all APM options in your BIOS, and then you should be able to boot. When you get to that point you can disable apm in your Linux kernel. I use Redhat 7.2 on my primary home workstation, and I love it. Its just a quirky setup on your machine, don't give up on Linux yet!!

Thanks for the help. As it turned out, I disabled apm in bios and it loads up correctly.

whoohooo!!!

Good Guru

APM evil --- EVIL!!!

Kind Mastermind

Linux rarely dies all out like that during boot. *Even with an incorrect driver. *You have more htan likely a problem with the APM module. *First disable all APM options in your BIOS, and then you should be able to boot. *When you get to that point you can disable apm in your Linux kernel. *I use Redhat 7.2 on my primary home workstation, and I love it. *Its just a quirky setup on your machine, don't give up on Linux yet!!
    WTF...Turbolinux and Mandy 8.1 did the same thing to me (I run a system eerily similar, except that I have a second hdd with linux installed on it.). Wow, I hope this solution will clear up the problem I was having. D**m apm. Bad apm, bad!

Good Guru

APM sucks. You would figure that something as old as APM would have been working by now. It's been at LEAST 5 years!!! General reccomendation -- when you buy a mobo disable the APM and then do it in each OS you install.

Kind Mastermind

WTF...Turbolinux and Mandy 8.1 did the same thing to me (I run a system eerily similar, except that I have a second hdd with linux installed on it.). *Wow, I hope this solution will clear up the problem I was having. *D**m apm. *Bad apm, bad!
    <baptist church choir in background singing praise songs>Disabling apm worked for me! Turbolinux installed without a hitch! And it boots just fine. I think that I will try Mandy 8.1 later this week. Wow.</praise songs>