Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

HPIIISi mem overflow errors

Thread: HPIIISi mem overflow errors

HPIIISi mem overflow errors

Hey Gang,

I've just got my HPIIISi up and running at my school. Unfortunately, the printer can't quite finish printing the Linux Mandrake print test page, and shows a mem overflow error.

The printer has 1 mb of ram in it. Although I could probably buy more ram for it, is this necessary? Does anyone know a way to make a print job more manageable?

It even generated the error when I printed a file with 120 lines of text (no graphics):

This is a little test. This is a little test. This is a little test.

The printer only does PCL, not PS.

Thanks in advance,

M

Re: HPIIISi mem overflow errors

hello,
    mandrake uses cups for a printer stuff - you may wish to look here
    http://www.cups.org/also if there is more than one driver for the printer i would try one of those...

Yeah, I've been working with cups, and have been reading a bunch from that site. I didn't see anything particular about the HPIIIsi.

Maybe I missed something? If my printer does PCL (and I think it says 5 on the front panel), but not PS, should I be using a different driver than the generic HP Laserjets (the new ones I assume do PS)?

Thanks,

M

i thought all HP laser printers did standard PS.

i thought all HP laser printers did standard PS. *
    The earlier LaserJets had PS as an addon module. The LJIIIsi uses PCL5 unless you have this module.

Yeah, that's right. It says PCL 5 on the front panel.

What's the best driver to use? Will the mem overflow problem be resolved with more memory? How much more? I could get it in 8 mb sticks, for about $17 per stick.

Thanks,

M

I should add that I'd rather not spend the money on the printer if I can get it working (albeit slowly) without extra memory.

The printer used to be an office workhorse. Surely it could print lines of text and simple graphics.

M

Well, after reading a bit more, I figured it was worth the risk to go for more ram. I'll let you know how it turns out - should be about a week...

M