Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

sharing data between Win2k and Linux.

Thread: sharing data between Win2k and Linux.

sharing data between Win2k and Linux.

Hi all,

My neighbor is running a SuSE 7.3 machine and a Windows 2000 machine. Both machines are sharing a cable connection with a Linksys router. I configured the router to use the static IP supplied by the cable company and the 2 machines are supplied IP's via dhcp from the router. How can I setup the machines to see each other? Would Samba work or is this normally used for a Linux server? She does not have a server running, just the two workstations.

I'm unable to test this setup from my house because I am only running Linux on my machines.

Thanks for the help.

Mentor

Re: sharing data between Win2k and Linux.

Samba would be the best bet!

Check out the PETS on networking http://www.linuxjunior.org/cgi-bin/p...gory&id=16

Dont use the cookbook one it's a broken link.

SAMBA would really be the only way to go. SAMBA = *nix to windows networking. NFS = pure *nix networking. You shouldn't have to worry much about using DHCP and SAMBA, but, since there are only two machines, why not just make the IPs static? You'll avoid any other, later, hassles if for any reason you are running an IP dependent service and the DHCP server decideds to issue new IPs for some odd reason. Can you make IP reservations on the Linksys. If so that may be the way to go.

SAMBA would really be the only way to go. SAMBA = *nix to windows networking. NFS = pure *nix
    Actually, it is possible to use NFS in a mixed 'nix - Windows environment but you need an NFS client for Windows (and they're not free). SAMBA is the way to go for file sharing, VNC for desktop sharing, and SSH for remote access.