Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Mouse not loading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mouse not loading

Mouse not loading

Running RH7.1 on a PI 200. I don't get any errors at boot, and I see "Starting console mouse services" (or whatever it says - in NT now), but there is no mouse. I removed the mouse and re-booted, and Kudzu asked if I wanted to do anything about it, I removed the configuration and re-booted again, this time with the mouse in place, and added the mouse when Kudzu asked if I wanted to. Still nowt.

I've tried linking /dev/mouse with ttyS0, 1,2 and 3, although I'm fairly confident it's ttyS1. I would like to get this sorted and try Galeon (the only reason I built the machine).

Anyone think of anything else I could try?

Thanks.

Re: Mouse not loading

is it a ps/2 or serial mouse ?

hello,
    please check out the file /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and tell us what is in there under input section. this is where the mouse gets defined for use under X. I take it this is a serial mouse. Also are there any other devices usieng the serial ports?

Apologies. Yes it is a serial mouse. Don't think anything else is using the serial ports.

I had a look at (and fiddled with) /etc/X11/XF86Config, and it looked fine. At work now, so I can't post it, but it had a Microsoft serial mouse.

Don't know if it is related, but scrolling in IE 5.5 is a bit dodgy - it seems slow to scroll with the scroll bars, almost as if one were scrolling through mud, if you know what I mean.

I noticed during boot up that there is a PS/2 mouse port on the mobo, might get the lid off and try to hook it up and see how I go.

hmm .. try out mouseconf or mouseconfig ... these programs should configure your mouse in redhat .. if its not a hardware problem.

can you tell us what the putput of ls -l /dev/ | grep mouse is?

can you tell us what the putput of ls -l /dev/ | grep mouse is?
    Indeed I can :-

crw------- 1 root root 10, 10 Mar 24 2001 adbmouse
    crw------- 1 root root 10, 4 Mar 24 2001 amigamouse
    crw------- 1 root root 10, 7 Mar 24 2001 amigamouse1
    crw------- 1 root root 10, 5 Mar 24 2001 atarimouse
    crw------- 1 root root 10, 3 Mar 24 2001 atimouse
    crw------- 1 root root 10, 4 Mar 24 2001 jmouse
    crw------- 1 root root 10, 0 Mar 24 2001 logimouse
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Dec 4 21:53 mouse -> /dev/ttyS0
    crw------- 1 root root 10, 2 Mar 24 2001 msmouse
    crw------- 1 root root 10, 1 Mar 24 2001 psmouse
    crw------- 1 root root 10, 8 Mar 24 2001 smouse
    crw------- 1 root root 10, 6 Mar 24 2001 sunmouse

I tried hooking another serial port to com2, NT found it with no problem, RH didn't. I should have mentioned that the install was of the graphical variety, and the mouse worked fine then. I have previously selected the wrong port during the install, and learned that I shouldn't have.

Mouse is still dodgy in NT.

well the link looks good if you have it hooked up to com1. not if you have it hooked up to com2....

at this point i would try to rerun Xconfigurator.

Bloody hardware !

I went for the re-install, after mucking about with it for a few days. Try again - aaarrrggghhhh!!! - no mouse, still. Moved the mouse to another serial port - nothing. Then I pulled out an old mouse that I was sure I had tried before I posted. Bingo!

Thanks for the help, anyhoo.

Now I have to get galeon going, mutter, mutter..............

Yeah. You do have to consider that it could be the hardware. About 8 months ago I was setting up a Debian machine for the college's unix class. In probably about 90 minutes, I had it functioning to the point that I could open X-windows in 1024x768 and get stuff done. However the mouse didn't work. I tried for probably about an hour to get Linux to see that mouse. It turned out that the ports in the machine were bad. (It had the kind of ports that you plug into the motherboard. If you don't know what I'm talking about, just pretend you do.) Changing out the little port thing fixed it right up. I was kicking myself in the head trying to figure it out.