Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Debian and X - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Debian and X

Re: Debian and X

okay - cool!
    I ahve these modules loaded for my usb mouse
    mousedev 3968 1
    hid 12672 0 (unused)
    usbmouse 1792 0 (unused)
    input 3104 0 [mousedev hid usbmouse]
    usb-uhci 20960 0 (unused)
    usbcore 48992 1 [hid usbmouse usb-uhci]
    and in /dev/ I have:
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Dec 3 23:41 mouse -> input/mice

so /dev/mouse is a link to /dev/input/mice - i assume you have devfs for usb in the kernel too

and then have the XF86Config-4 file look like:
    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Mouse0"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
    Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    EndSection
    - uh - thats for a wheel mouse.

hope that helps...

Yay! A direction to go! Next Q is (which I should have asked before) how do I know if I have the USB module installed? I know to install something I use modprobe somethingorother filename.o iirc.

Associate

To see what modules are loaded, use the 'lsmod' command. Hopefully, you'll see a bunch of usb<something> entries. And when you're loading modules with modprobe, leave off the .o. Otherwise, you'll get a message like this:

[root@ZukLand bjz]$ rmmod lp
    [root@ZukLand bjz]$ modprobe lp.o
    modprobe: Can't locate module lp.o
    [root@ZukLand bjz]$

Ye-ha! Thanx for the help. ;D
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't have a USB module loaded in my kernel which is booting from floppy. Working on the Lilo.conf file too so I can set it up for dual booting.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Added the USB modules using modprobe, added a handful of them anthing with hid, or mouse in it. Still working on Lilo, and working on getting X properly configgered. I must be getting macisocistic because this is starting to get fun! ;D
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Added the modules to the kernel on my floppy which appears it doesn't like to save, no big deal just readd them. When I type lsmod I get:

mousedev 3608 0 unused

Is that proper or did I do something wrong? Another question is do I need the USB mouse plugged into the mobo's USB port rather than plugged into a keyboard port (which is connected to the motherboard). As far as I can tell kernel is picking up the USB hub on the keyboard.

I added the lines to XF86Config-4, and still no mouse. :/ I have a second config for Razer mice which has in it:

Option "Buttons" "7"
    Option "Resolution" "1000"

(original has 2000 for the model)

I tried with and without the above lines with no success.

What is devfs? Is that the mousedev module or other stuff I'm missing?

Normally I don't post twice in a row but I'm thinking of taking the mouse issue to the hardware forum. I've typed everything into my XF87Config-4 file, put the mouse to a USB port on the motherboard, tried using IMPS/2, PS/2. Tried /dev/usbmouse as well. Still the mouse sits there and doesn't do a thing but X knows that it's there and tells me:

XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Mouse0" (type: Mouse)

Thank you all for the help on getting X up and running, my next step is to get Lilo to the MBR so I can boot Linux from the boot loader rather than a floppy (watch that be the problem :P)

Associate

To configure X using xfree86-4.* , in Debian, use the command dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86.

Regards,
    Rod

so /dev/mouse is a link to /dev/input/mice *- i assume you have devfs for usb in the kernel too

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Dec 3 23:41 mouse -> input/mice
    How do I do that lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root line? I learned I didn't have the usbdevfs installed so I apt-get installed it and my mouse still stares blankly at me and laughs.

ASCI_Blue I'm really glad you're making some progress. I, on the other hand am still staring at a command line. This is NOT a bad thing, because I need more command-line experience, but I think X is a memory for me, until the next Libranet release comes along. Oh well, Lynx is cool, it's fun browsing the net in comand line- things load so FAST!! And I've always got Win 98 and my "stock" Libranet install to fall back on.

X doesn't do me any good w/o a mouse. I'm staring at a command line every time I boot into Debian as well.

ln -s /dev/input/mice /dev/mouse will create the link.