Thread: p100 redhat 7.2

p100 redhat 7.2

I got this error the first time I started up then I rebooted and it went away. Now its back when I go to shut down.
    The error is

Unable to handel kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 00000fa0.
    This comes after it says shutting down kernel logger but it says this twice then the error message.

Re: p100 redhat 7.2

I think that it's a kernel issue as opposed to user-land...get yourself some new kernel sources.
    RH has custom kernel sources, I don't know if RH users are required to use those or whether you can use vanilla Linux sources...YMMV
    I still use 2.4.13 which is pretty stable except when dd-ripping a CDrom.

hello,
    the vanilla kenrel works great - one thing is make sure you get 2.2.16 - else you need to patch for ext3 unless you are using ext2. i think 2.4.14 may be okay 2. but definately not 2.4.13

why would this happen though. It was a fresh minimal install of redhat. All it had installed was printing support and file sharing. First time it starts up how could the kernel be screwed?

anyone? I'd like this to not happen again after I spend 2 hours installing over the net from a very slow ftp server

why would this happen though. It was a fresh minimal install of redhat.
    Like I said: it prolly has something to do with kernel<-->hardware interaction.
    Try a newer kernel and see if that helps.
    Maybe your mobo is one that has a less-than-perfect controller or the memory is swiss cheese...try Memtest86.

I've been recompiling kernels for the past few days bedause of similar problems. I started with 2.4-16 because it's labeled as being stable and it has ext3. It kept hanging under random conditions, but always hung when I ran badblocks. It logged EIP Oops messages whenever it hung. I then tried 2.5 but it was worst so I'm now trying 2.4-15. So far so good. Badblocks doesn't crash and the system hasn't hung in the past few minutes. It's a very basic configuration but if it stays stable for the next few day's I'll add more functionality.

???