Thread: a couple of questions

a couple of questions

hi all
    i have a couple of questions, after upgrading to rh7.2

-how do you change the hostname of your box? i did it before with 'ifconfig eth0'-but when i try it on 7.2 i get a 'command not found'? i'm probably missing something...

-what type of software do people use to back up their linux servers?

-i have proftpd set up, people w user accounts on the box can ftp in with their account info, problem is - it seems like they can navigate anywhere on the hdd through ftp - is there a way i can limit them to their home dir? one thing: several of the user accounts have overlapping home directories, it's ok if they can see ea. other's files...

thanks guys
    p

Re: a couple of questions

-how do you change the hostname of your box? *i did it before with 'ifconfig eth0'-but when i try it on 7.2 i get a 'command not found'? *i'm probably missing something...
    You need to be root to run ifconfig.

And you change the hostname by running the hostname command.

Hahah, you're one of those silly windows users that backs stuff up, right?

You need to be root to run ifconfig.
    i tried it as root, but just su'd to root...
    does it only work when i'm logged in as root?

And you change the hostname by running the hostname command.

Hahah, you're one of those silly windows users that backs stuff up, right?
    so how do you back up? just tar everything?

i tried it as root, but just su'd to root...
    does it only work when i'm logged in as root?
    The way I understand it, there is no difference between actually logging in as root, and just su'ing into root.

But I don't know how you change your hostname with ifconfig, I've never heard of that. Just su to root, and then do this:

hostname my_new_hostname

and it will change your hostname for you. If that doesn't work, just edit /etc/HOSTNAME with the new hostname, and reboot the computer.

so how do you back up? *just tar everything?
    Why on earth would I backup anything? That's just a terrible waste of space. Linux doesn't crash, last time I checked, so it's not like I'm going to BSOD and lose all my files like that one fateful (windows using) morning...

Besides, if you just tarred everything and kept it on the same disk, that wouldn't do you any good. A backup is only useful if it doesn't get destroyed along with the regular files -- and I don't have anything buy my HD to store it on

hmm .. I just look at http://freshmeat.net/search/?site=Fr...=projectsthere are many backup scripts available.. although I never needed something cause I dont have so important data on my drive .. but backing up is always a good idea

Advisor

Why on earth would I backup anything? That's just a terrible waste of space. Linux doesn't crash, last time I checked, so it's not like I'm going to BSOD and lose all my files like that one fateful (windows using) morning...

Besides, if you just tarred everything and kept it on the same disk, that wouldn't do you any good. A backup is only useful if it doesn't get destroyed along with the regular files *-- and I don't have anything buy my HD to store it on
    Well, in case you had a currupted harddrive, then it would be nice with some form of backup..
    I usualy have a second comp. on the net, where I rsync the /home to make sure the users allways will have their files..

Oh and it's through ssh, so no security holes either..
    Code:
    rsync -az -e ssh /home my_backup_machine:/backup

-i have proftpd set up, people w user accounts on the box can ftp in with their account info, problem is - it seems like they can navigate anywhere on the hdd through ftp - is there a way i can limit them to their home dir?
    add the following line to your /etc/proftpd.conf:
    DefaultRoot ~

then restart proftpd and the users will be limited to their homedirs with ftp

I have a big tutorial on backing up your hard drive to cd's. It's coming out at www.linuxorbit.com on January 1 when the site relaunches if you can wait that long. All you need is standard Gnu commands and cdrecord. You'll want to make sure you get cdrecord to work first though. If you want to use another medium, like tape backup, let me know.

I have a big tutorial on backing up your hard drive to cd's. It's coming out at www.linuxorbit.com on January 1 when the site relaunches if you can wait that long. All you need is standard Gnu commands and cdrecord. You'll want to make sure you get cdrecord to work first though. If you want to use another medium, like tape backup, let me know.
    hi
    thanks. there's no cd rewriter on this machine, there's a zip but i have about 6 gig of data that's important. i could get a tape drive...

add the following line to your /etc/proftpd.conf:
    DefaultRoot ~

then restart proftpd and the users will be limited to their homedirs with ftp
    thanks
    this worked like a charm