Thread: DOS emu

DOS emu

Does anyone know how to run DOS emu? I have a dos partition and I want to run Hexen. It is a Doom clone, but its my favorite game. It is really old, so I figure it would work fine under an emulator, but I can't seem to figure out how to access anything under the dos emulator. I tried to use wine, but wine crashes a few moments after it starts up. Any ideas? Thanks.

Re: DOS emu

Well, my experience with DOSEMU was basically that I tried to run it, and it bitched at me that it didn't have a proper version of DOS available to it for it to work properly.

Then I read the instructions for it, it told me how to get it installed and working properly, then I got it up and running. Then I realized that I was using DOS and I deleted it

Sorry, but a quick Reading of The Fine Manual should tell you everything you need to know. ;D

Then I realized that I was using DOS and I deleted it
    Talk about blasphemy. DOS was awesome, in all its forms.

Anyway, you have it installed, right? Which DOS are you using (FreeDOS, possibly?)

If DOS is so awesome, why are you using Linux?

I had to download FreeDOS to make it work, I remember now.

I use dosemu for several old apps. In my experience it is still a trial and error thing as to what will work and not. But I would recommend getting the latest version, 1.0.2 I believe. It is improved, especially sound capability. For my dos I use the drdos eval that Lineo used to provide free for just that purpose, don't know if you can still find that. You can use a native dos partition, but only if you don't mount it in linux.

I experimented with dosemu a bit some time ago and found the documentation included with the product was very helpful and also the docs/faqs at www.dosemu.org were an excellent resource.

Also /etc/dosemu.conf.sample is well documented.