Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Slack 8!!! Now for my first question.

Thread: Slack 8!!! Now for my first question.

Slack 8!!! Now for my first question.

I finally got a version of Slackware up an running smoothly!! I like it. I'm learning alot quick but I'm having trouble (thanks to Mandrake) finding out what file I need to edit in order to control the various services that initiate themselves at bootup.

During bootup I see things like Samba and NFS starting up. A printer service starts up as well ( I dont have a printer). In Mandrake there is a pretty GUI app. that lets me pick an choose which services I want started at boot. I haven't found anything like that in Slack. I've been looking through the file system for the file/files responsible but I'm still in the dark.

I read the Slack book too. If anyone could help me out or send me a weblink to some info I'd appreciate it.

Gracias.

Re: Slack 8!!! Now for my first question.

slack doesn't have any GUI tools
    u'll have to learn how to do everything urself, and that's just one of the things that makes it such a great distro

i don't use slack anymore, but i think the file u need to edit is /etc/rc.d/rc.M
    in that file u'll have to look for the lines where those services are started and then simply remove them (or better yet, comment them)

Exactly what I needed to know. Thanks! As far as the "pretty GUI" reference, I was being sarcastic. I meant that Mandrake has hindered my knowledge of Linux with these apps and now Im lost with Slackware. Slack is stable and fast from what I see and Im impressed with its straight forward simplicity. It is as it should be.

Well, Slack uses a BSD style init, which means that there is essentially one directory with a bunch of scripts in them that start programs and services when the computer is booting. I don't know the exact location of these scripts, but once you find them it is a simple matter of commenting some lines of things you don't want, and rebooting. Then they don't load anymore

I think the directory you are looking for is /etc/rc.(something). Try what Ralinx said first, though.

Exactly what I needed to know. Thanks! As far as the "pretty GUI" reference, I was being sarcastic. I meant that Mandrake has hindered my knowledge of Linux with these apps and now Im lost with Slackware. Slack is stable and fast from what I see and Im impressed with its straight forward simplicity. It is as it should be.
    In no way, shape or form has Mandrake "Hindered your knowledge of Linux." You were always free to dig in and learn. I have learned a great deal about Linux, about Linux configuration and about Linux command line operation, all while using Mandrake.

And now that I have a small, basic, old Debian install on the secondary computer, I find that knowledge quite useful in setting up various things.

I don't mean this to sound like a put down or a slap in the face, so please don't take it as such. All I am sayng is don't blame Mandrake for being what it is meant to be- a simple to use, user friendly distro that runs quite nicely right out of the box.

Slackware

In no way, shape or form has Mandrake "Hindered your knowledge of Linux." You were always free to dig in and learn. I have learned a great deal about Linux, about Linux configuration and about Linux command line operation, all while using Mandrake.

Yes I agree. I think what I meant to say was that Mandrake, with all of its automated config type apps, made it very easy for me to be lazy.

8) Slackware 8)

Yes I agree. I think what I meant to say was that Mandrake, with all of its automated config type apps, made it very easy for me to be lazy.

8) Slackware 8)
    Fair enough. I think that I rather like being lazy, myself.