Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

new to overclocking - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: new to overclocking

Re: new to overclocking

If you actually READ something, you would know that the multiplier is locked on PII CPUs
    Well, if you actually read something you would know that not all PII cpus are multiplier locked. The 300 is though.

Well, if you actually read something you would know that not all PII cpus are multiplier locked. The 300 is though.
    The very small procentage of P2 cpus still on the market without multiplier locking is soo unimportant... I've never even seen one, but yes they do exist...... Still I think it's safe to say that "all" P2s are locked, since the availibilty of these rare CPU is very low....

But that really doesn't matter as the main speed boost for the entire system, will probably be gained from upping the FSB!

The very small procentage of P2 cpus still on the market without multiplier locking is soo unimportant... I've never even seen one, but yes they do exist...... Still I think it's safe to say that "all" P2s are locked, since the availibilty of these rare CPU is very low....

But that really doesn't matter as the main speed boost for the entire system, will probably be gained from upping the FSB!
    Itīs not unimportant if you have got one that isnīt locked. I think most PII 233 and 266 are unlocked and there are probably a lot of those still in use. Upping the fsb is not always an option and when it isnīt itīs very convenient to be able to change the multiplier.

And there is no reason to be rude to Agar because he didnīt know this (especially when you were wrong).

I had my P2 266 at 500 for some time - then I sold it, it was running on a standard fan, no probs.

But if you overclock, get a mobo that supports stuff like lm_sensors to check the temps.

My current Duron 700 is at 950, temps are a bit high soo I might need to think about adding water to the equation. Also that would take care of my noise problem.
    I noticed after spending some time in Linux one day it runs a few degrees hotter than Windows.

Good Guru

Yeah, that will happen. Linux uses the proc more to get everything done. Realize that your pc is doing more than with wincrap installed and running. For a good laff -- look at the temp with 2 instances of VMWare runnig -- x86 WinNT and x86 Win98. Woo! Warm.