Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

new to overclocking
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: new to overclocking

new to overclocking

just overclocked my p II 300 with 66mhz fsb to 374mhz 83mhz fsb. My cpu has a fan on it and I'm just wondering if this small speed jump is too much for only a small fan on the p 2? Right now it seems to be running fine. Can someone suggest some good benchmarks so i can compare

Re: new to overclocking

I would advise against overclocking unless you really need to. Is this your only computer? Because it sucks. I'd get another one. And if you must overclock it, do it as little as you can get away with. People are fools to overclock wildly. Is the 20% speed increase worth risking killing your processor? It's really less than 20% overall.

5 computers. One 866, this 300 and the rest are between 100 -166 mhz. I'm fully aware of the risks with overclocking so I just wondered how high could i probably get away with

I had my P2 266 at 500 for some time - then I sold it, it was running on a standard fan, no probs.

But if you overclock, get a mobo that supports stuff like lm_sensors to check the temps.

My current Duron 700 is at 950, temps are a bit high soo I might need to think about adding water to the equation. Also that would take care of my noise problem.

Mentor

Lovchild do you have any links or things like that i can get info and help how to over clock a pc?

i have a pc laying around i'd like experement on!! ;D

Associate

Toms hardware.

www.tomshardware.com

have fun
    eric

Toms hardware.

www.tomshardware.com

have fun
    eric
    Tom... you must be crazy... he's an ass !

www.procooling.com check out Bladerunner in the forums - that guy is crazy
    www.overclockers.com.au
    www.tweak3d.net
    www.hardocp.com and their forums www.hardforum.com

Try out these sites.

If I have these lm_sensors on the motherboard (abit bh6) should I be able to see the cpu temp in the bios? Now that I have this thing running stable at 374 with fsb at 83 I'll take the fsb up to 100mhz and maybe use a multiplyer of 4. I think I'll also rip apart my case putting in extra fans too.

hmm I just noticed that the multipler seems to be locked at 4.5 and even when I change it it stays at 4.5 Is this a normal thing that could happen? Also will increasing fsb from say 66 to 100mhz put a hard strain on the cpu?

hmm I just noticed that the multipler seems to be locked at 4.5 and even when I change it it stays at 4.5 Is this a normal thing that could happen? Also will increasing fsb from say 66 to 100mhz put a hard strain on the cpu?
    If you actually READ something, you would know that the multiplier is locked on PII CPUs