Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

okay, so maybe it's a win98 question - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: okay, so maybe it's a win98 question

Good Guru

Re: okay, so maybe it's a win98 question

Actually, i see your problem and why windows CANT go there on hda5. You used an extended partition (hence why the parts are 5+). Windows will see that as one giant partition, not a big one made of little ones. So even though you have the space available, its not able to be "seen".

What you can do is this -- since you will be upgrading, when you do wipe all of the linux stuff so just XP remains. Make a hda2 (win98) hda3 (linux boot) , and hda5 (linux extended), hda6 (swap). This will make it easy to manage each OS and not have it interfere with the other os's. I have win98 eating up 2g on hda1, and 1 gb swap, rest linux. I kill and reload windows almost weekly due to the MS Virus called Explorer. all that is needed it a boot disk to re init grub.

Associate

;D thanks, guys.
    dave

Associate

okay...sorry to keep this thread going :-X ...but i've just one more question...
    do you guys think this will work?:

1.) Remove WinXP from hda1 & format it as win98 fat32
    2.) Install Win98 to hda1
    3.) Reinstall WinXP to another partition

...Or is WinXP just as stubborn as 9x, & only install to first partition?..
    thanks.
    dave

From my experience with XP it doens't mind being installed on a non-primary partition.

I have a triple-boot machine that has Windows 98, Windows 2000, and Linux on it. I assume Windows XP is close enough to Windows 2000 from a "where it can be installed" perspective.

Install Windows 98 first on the first partition of Drive 1. Install Windows XP as if you were creating a dual-boot Windows box on the second partition of Drive 1. Now, you can put Linux on either a third partition of Drive 1 or anywhere on Drive 2. You might also want to create a separate partition for your data and maybe even one for Windows 98 and Windows XP programs.

Note that you can't create more than four primary partitions on one drive using Windows 98 (not sure about XP).

Search the Web for triple-boot tutorials. You should find heaps of them.

Good Guru

What you can also do is take out HDA and put your current HDB as HDA. Then install Win98 on it. After that, put HDA back to HDB and then edit whatever program you use to load your OS ( boot.ini or NTLDR or LILO or GRUB ). All should be good.

Win98 won'e see your XP installation as recognizable Windows partition due to that XP use NTFS for it ( I'm not sure since I haven't used XP but 2K use NTFS ). Win98's FAT32 can't read NTFS.

This has most likely been mentioned already, but just to confirm what others have said.

NT, W2K and XP can be installed on primary or logical partitions.

95, 98 and ME can only be installed on primary partitions.

There could be a way to install 9X/ME on a logical partition though I haven't heard of one.

If you already have XP installed on the first primary partition (hda1 in Linux terms) and you want to install Win98 on the second primary partition, then just use fdisk/partition magic boot/rescue disks etc. to set the 2nd partition as active and 98 should install.

One way I use to install 98, ME and W2K was to use the Partition Magic 5 boot/rescue disks (same functionality as installing PM in Windows) and first create a i.e. 3GB ntfs partition at the beginning of the drive set it active and install W2K.

Next I would use PM to move the ntfs partition over leaving enough space for both my 98 and ME partitions. Then I would create a fat32 partition, set that as active and then install ME.

I would use PM again and move the ME partition over against the W2K partition, create another fat32 partition in the free space at the beginning of the drive, set it active and install 98.

The final step would be to install BootMagic in 98 and setup 98, ME and W2K. I would use BM or else install Linux in multiple logical partitions and install Grub in the Linux partition so not to use the mbr. Finally I would set the Linux partition as active and Grub would be able to boot all the operating systems.

Hope that helps somewhat.