Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: okay, so maybe it's a win98 question

Associate

okay, so maybe it's a win98 question

Hey. I just installed a new 40gig HD. It's identified as hdb since it's my second hard drive. I made a 2gig partition, hdb5, intending to put win98 on it. I put the win98 install disk in the drive & booted. The setup program was wanting to use my first hard drive to install it to & wouldn't give me an option to put it on my new one. I need win98 for scanner support. Does anyone know if there's a way to install win98 to hdb5? thanks.
    dave

Re: okay, so maybe it's a win98 question

Well, historically windows does not like to be run on anything but the first hard drive... I think your best bet in this case would be to install windows on the first harddrive, and install linux on the second one (come on, you know you want linux to have all that of that 40GB goodness! )

Associate

well, historically, windows sucks... ;D sounds like too much work...for now at least...
    I've been thinking about installing debian here lately...I may just do that instead & forget about the scanner...

hello,
    with the advent of the GRUB bootlader you can install windows on any partition, there is a nice artile at linux journel about doing this. i have nver done it myself...

And if that doesn't work, and you don't want to do my other suggestion, you could probably get away with changing the drives around so that the 40 GB is the first one. Then Windows will happily install on it

Be sure to edit your lilo.conf first, though, otherwise lilo will try to load your linux from the wrong drive, and it will fail, and the end result will be a machine that isn't bootable

Associate

let me give you the lowdown, here....

#hard drive #1 - 30GB (hda):

divided into 5 partitions:
    1) hda1 - NTFS - WinXP installed - 7.8GB
    2) hda5 - FAT32 - Nothing installed...could i put win98 here?
    3) hda6 - Ext2 - Linux
    4) hda7 - Swap
    5) hda8 - Ext2 - Linux

#hard drive #2 - 40GB (hdb):

Obviously Windows doesn't want to go here...
    -----------------------------------
    so, is there any way to get win98 to install to partition #2, hda5? I put the win98 install disk in & booted & it still told me that i had a non dos partition across my entire hard drive & it wanted to wipe it clean...probably nothing can be done here, but maybe there's some trick I don't know. thanks
    dave

here is the linuxjournel article - it is quite good. it is the only way i would know how to boot windows from any partition besides /dev/hda1

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=4622

Associate

cool. thanks, pbharris.

however, i can't seem to find out how to install win98 to another partition.

cool. thanks, pbharris.

however, i can't seem to find out how to install win98 to another partition.
    Everything I've ever read says you can't put Windows 98 on anything but the the first partition of the first hard drive. So, I suggest that's where you put it and put Linux somewhere else (even on the second hard drive if you like). Also, it's a good idea to keep all of your data on a separate partition.

This will require a little trickery but what you can do is swap the priority of your drives, install 98, then switch back. I assume that you will need to edit your bootloader but that's the easy part.