Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

creating a backup image of your linux drive?

Thread: creating a backup image of your linux drive?

creating a backup image of your linux drive?

hi,

i imagine ghost will not work so i was wondering what could be used to make an image of my linux drive. im not running windows on this either. i have xcdroast which i use mostly as well as eroaster and gcombust. if one of these is applicable how would i go about it and would i need to boot with the cd when going to restore? im going to do some kernel updating and some other stuff and i wanna be prepared for disaster. thanx for any help.

SD

Re: creating a backup image of your linux drive?

Symantec Ghost should work for ext2 partitions though I'm not sure which version includes Linux support.

Powerquests DriveImage version 3 has worked for me with ext2 partitions. I was able to backup and restore when I was using ext2. Now it won't work with ReiserFS. Not sure if ext3 is supported.

If you do a search at freshmeat.net, you will find some good apps that will do the job. I download one a few weeks ago at work though I cannot remember the name nor have I tried it yet. Just do a search there for backup etc.

mondo and mindi are the solution to this!!!
    see http://www.microwerks.net/~hugo

mondo and mindi are the solution to this!!!
    see http://www.microwerks.net/~hugo
    hey thanks neo77777! mondo looks groovy!

Same here neo77777. Since I've switched to ReiserFS, I'm sorta limited to what imaging/backup software I can use.

I was going to try PartImage (I think that's correct), but this one looks more promising.

You are welcome.
    Happy New Year and keep it all rolling. ;D

u could also just simply tar up ur linux partition and u'd have a backup (make sure the permissions stay the way they are though)

or u could do what i do: write a simple backupscript that copies ur entire filesystem to another linux partition and then edit the /etc/fstab file on the backup partition so the / mountpoint is set to the right partition.

then add an entry to ur lilo.conf for the backup partion (this only has to be done once, and it will keep working)

that way u always have a working backup that u can boot into at any time. this is very good in case u fuck up ur current linux system... u can just reboot into the backup and u have ur system back.

cool. thanks for all the comments. i will have a look at mondo and mindi. geeez, my old dogs were named mickey and mindy. *now thats weird. :P