Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Desperate! New to Linux pppsetup mschap80 Help!

Thread: Desperate! New to Linux pppsetup mschap80 Help!

Desperate! New to Linux pppsetup mschap80 Help!

:'(Slackware8 on Soyo6BA+IV mobo, PII 350, ISA -Creative Modem Blaster Flash56II DI5601-1 running under win98 on Com:3 - IRQ:5 - IO: 03E8h-03EFh

In Linux as /dev/ttyS2 at 0X 03E8h (irq=5) is a 16550A
    How do I chk to see what settings I actually put in? *b/c I am going through the setup steps again. *
    Read and re-read but honestly, I don't have the reference pt. to understand somethings.

I had gone through pppsetup. *At commandline ~# ppp-go
    modem dialed and then I was returned to commandline prompt ~# Connect Script Failed *
    Here are the last lines in /var/log/messages:
    DSC07-C7206.SAI-TX line 1/10/48 ^M
    ^M
    sai-tx9.rasserver ^M
    login:^M
    %login:timeout expired!^M
    alarm
    Failed
    exit
    prompt ~# Connect Script Failed *

Then I started to add and subtract lines into and from * * /etc/ppp/chap-secrets
    /etc/resolv.conf
    /etc/ppp/options
    /etc/ppp/pppsetup.txt
    looking for ./pppscript and /chat scripts
    Now I *lost track of what i was doing.

During Slack bootup and in /var/log/messages I see:
    PPP Deflate Compression module registered
    kernel : registered device ppp0 *pppd 2.4.1
    ds: no socket drivers loaded *

Do I have to decompress PPP? *Do I need ds to setup an internet connection?

When I try to *include "remotename" and "user name"in options per MS-CHAP *online docs [With MS-CHAP always use "remotename" option, either on *command line or in "options" *file ie commandline:
    pppd *name *user *name > What should this have to look like???
    Is PPPd included *before Name? * What Name? *user(mdrest) *Name?
    In options file: pppd name customer47 remotename ] -??? Please what wld this look like??? * I tried but Linux tells me the option is either not invalid or doesn't exist - not sure of wording now.

Chap-Secrets asks for 2 lines for ea system with which u use Chap -> with no leading blanks<- what does this mean?:
    Remote Host=? * *Account=ccres20@msn? * * Secret
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *MSN/ccres20 ?
    Account * * * * * * * * *Remote Host * * * * * * * * * * * * *Secret

is the account my user name? *is the remote host msn.com?
    secret = psswrd

Finally while figuring out if all lib i need are available in /usr/local/lib *I found one or two listings that said broken? Does that mean that library file is broken???? :'( * Sorry for this long post of questions but I am desperate! Thank you

Re: Desperate! New to Linux pppsetup mschap80 Help

hello,
    looks like the modem is working, you can check some of the stuff by doing a cat /proc/interrupts and a cat /proc/ioports to make sure. i am guessing the the PPP dialer is messed up, i used wvdail so set all that stuff up and it worked pretty good.

Pbharris I am using pppsetup-v1.98vis.qz wld u advise my upgrading to pppsetup-2.00.tar.qz? If so how do I go about downloading- onto a floppy or cd and what is the process for installing or upgrading the download in slackware? Slackware has a few bug fixes like dynamic available at ftb.linuxmafia.org +ppp-chat - 0.1.tqz and connect.tqz or is that .gz? Thanks for your help Happy New Year to all

hello,
    you can put it on a floppy if you like, i saw pppd (which includes pppsetup) at
    ftp://cs.anu.edu.au/pub/software/ppp/which is version 2.4.1

wvdail can be found here
    http://www.linuxpackages.net/all_view.php?position=520

docs for wvdial are here:
    http://www.worldvisions.ca/wvdial/ - it is really easy to use.

for saving to a floppy i asume you need to do this in windows so save it to the floppy with whatever windows tool is used to do that (filemanager, explorer) then take the floppy to the linux box and type mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy or where ever you mount point is located, then you can access it through the bash shell in directory /mnt/floppy .

to install it do a installpkg ppp-2.4.1.tar.gz

hth

pbharris, when I type dmesg |grep -i ppp - >I get<
    PPP: ver 2.3.7 (demand dialing)
    PPP line discipie registered and
    PPP Deflate Compression module registered >does this line mean i have to deflate a compressed module?

By the way I have registered device ppp0 pppd 2.4.1 already. Do u think installing the tar version w/ pppsetup will fix it?

pbharris, when I type dmesg |grep -i ppp - *>I get<
    PPP: ver 2.3.7 (demand dialing)
    PPP line discipie registered *and
    PPP Deflate Compression module registered *>does this line mean i have to deflate a compressed module?

By the way I have registered device ppp0 *pppd 2.4.1 already. *Do u think installing the tar version w/ pppsetup will fix it?
    Isnt the deflate compression module something that you can ignore? I thought it was a type of compression that can be enabled and would only work if your isp supports it, but it wouldnt hurt anything

evilsknight, thanks for your input. Situation is that I have msn as an isp and no i can't change it until jan of 2003. MSN uses compression and encryption during login. If I have to use compression does the line I quoted in previous message mean I have to deflate it? If so how do i do it?

its just right the PPP Deflate Compression module registered .. means that you should be able to handle compression dialups / isps ..