Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Debian-Woody ISO x.raw

Debian-Woody ISO x.raw

Good morning 02, Happy New Year!! *

Does anyone know what the .raw Debian Woody images on linuxiso.org are? *I have the last one downloading at work and want to put them on cd when I go in later to try giving a tape drive/scsi card heart massage...

Everything at work is WinDoZe based, and I'm really not sure what to expect when I try using EZ-CdCreator. *Is it going to have a clue? I know I don't.

tia, glenn

Re: Debian-Woody ISO x.raw

I think raw images can be burnt pretty much like an iso image but I am not totally sure. Usually it seems like you see a raw image for boot disks (dd).

they can be burned like iso images .. i did it when i created my debian cds ..

Cool, that's what I was hoping.

Thanks & Happy New Year!

--glenn

You can download Libranet's 1.9.1 ISO which is Debian based and includes kernel 2.4.3 (www.libranet.com).

Coral Sea,

Good plan, thanks. When I got to work the filesize of the three images I downloaded from LinuxISO for Woody were way too small. Libranet looks like it will make an excellent starting point, and a much easier install I bet.

Then I can apt get whatever I need that's not in the ISO.

Thanks again, you saved me from much frustration.

--glenn

I'm not a big Debian fan but I have tried it out under Corel and Stormix. I didn't have any success with Libranet when trying to configure the X side of things. Monitor would just go blank. Probably something I mis-selected during the install routine but obviously other people have managed to successfully install it. I tried twice and decided it just wasn't worth the hassle.

Good luck.

Figured out the problem with Libranet's installer. It can't handle PCs with more than one video card. Managed to install it on another box. I still don't know why some users get a Woody when then use Debian. Apt-get isn't all that exciting. I think there are more downsides than pluses.

And, now I must don my flameproof suit... :-*

Care to tell us what the downsides are? All I noticed was that it kicks the crap out of rpms...

Care to tell us what the downsides are? All I noticed was that it kicks the crap out of rpms...
    Yes, I'll admit, apt-get is better than RPM, but that's a bit like saying Canadian mass-produced beer is better than American mass-produced beer. [Point Debian]

The downsides are:

There are very few (in fact, only one current readily available -- Libranet) distros based on Debian. Yes, yes, I know, you can build Debian yourself, just like you build any Linux system from scratch. [Point Others]

As bad as RPM might be, most apps are more readily available that way than in the Debian package format. For example, if you update your Debian system's Mozilla using apt-get, you get version 0.95, which is only two versions behind the most current release. [Point Others]

Yes, yes, you can dick around and install apps in Debian without apt-get (I think), but that defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

Anyway, none of what I said will make one hill of beans difference to fans of the myriad Linux distros and Debian, not to mention the BSDs.

Enjoy whatever turns your crank. For whatever reason, Debian (in Corel, Stormix, and Libranet flavours) leaves me limp.