Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Debian ISO?

Debian ISO?

Hi all,

Does anyone know of a good site to download the ISO of Debian's latest release? I can never find it on the Debian site and the ISO's from linuxiso.org are running really slow tonight.

Thanks.

Re: Debian ISO?

the latest Debian does _not_ have any iso's.
    You going to have to make them yourself or
    download a floppy base and ftp the rest.

I suppose a couple of people out there may actually
    like this option, but I guess there's no alternative.

~Guitarlynn

linuxiso.org has the 2.2r4 ISO's. I thought that was the latest stable release?

linuxiso.org has the 2.2r4 ISO's. I thought that was the latest stable release?
    Well, when you only say latest release, most people will assume you want unstable (or maybe testing).

To get stable find a fast mirror near you.
    http://www.debian.org/distrib/ftplist

Sorry about that.....I meant stable. I checked the Debian page earlier but couldn't find any ISO's. I'm not very good at building my own. Is it very complicated downloading and installing via ftp versus downloading the ISO?

Thanks for the help.

Sorry about that.....I meant stable. I checked the Debian page earlier but couldn't find any ISO's. I'm not very good at building my own. Is it very complicated downloading and installing via ftp versus downloading the ISO?

Thanks for the help.
    Installing via ftp is no brainer. The installation program is the same. All you have to do is to download an appropriate floppy image (from [ftp_path]/dists/potato/main/disks-[arch]/current/images-[size]/). After downloading dd the [somefile].img file to a floppy (eg: dd if=pcmcia.img of=/dev/fd0) and boot from it. Then follow the on screen instructions, very easy.

Is it very complicated downloading and installing via ftp versus downloading the ISO?
    I had a lot of fun doing an ftp install. Of course, to me 'fun' is something that is a worthy challenge

Actually, the Debian people prefer you do an ftp install as opposed to downloading the ISO, because that way you don't download what you dont' need, and you don't waste their bandwidth ;D

Thanks for the help, everyone.....

I've been using RPM-based distributions for about 3 years and thought I would step over to the dark side.

By the way, what kernel is 2.2r4 built on? I think the Debian site says 2.2.19 but I thought that maybe the site just hasn't been updated....

Thanks again!

By the way, what kernel is 2.2r4 built on? I think the Debian site says 2.2.19 but I thought that maybe the site just hasn't been updated....
    There is no mistake: Potato is based on the 2.2.19.

Go to www.libranet.com to find mirrors for downloading the 1.9.1 ISO which includes kernel 2.4.3. Libranet is built on Debian.