Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Visual Studio.Net

Thread: Visual Studio.Net

nfallon

Visual Studio.Net

I installed the Release Candidate of Visual Studio.Net today. I noticed a lot of make files being transfered during the installation. I wasn't aware that Visual Studio used make to compile the apps. Looks like they may have stolen something from the Linux community.

Neil

JimH

Re: Visual Studio.Net

Interesting, considering the fact that make is GNU project and the source code is under the GPL. It wouldn't be the first time M$ has "borrowed" something from Unix and ignored the license.

Jim H

nfallon

Well, I left it in for the day and played with VS.NET. Needless to say it has been removed from the system along with the .NET environment. Between the 2 of them they take up 3.3 Gigs of space and do nothing that VS couldn't do before. They are trying to make it so that if you develop with VS.NET the apps won't run on anything but Windows XP.

Neil

JimH

Between the 2 of them they take up 3.3 Gigs of space and do nothing that VS couldn't do before. They are trying to make it so that if you develop with VS.NET the apps won't run on anything but Windows XP.
    WOW!, 3.3GB's for 2 app's? LOL, now that is code bloat. Sounds like another way for them to try and "force" people to upgrade again.

Jim H

nfallon

WOW!, 3.3GB's for 2 app's? LOL, now that is code bloat. Sounds like another way for them to try and "force" people to upgrade again.

Jim H

I think you hit the nail on the head. Between the drive space that XP takes and the memory that VS and XP take you would need a newer and faster system.

It's funny when I think of the Palm OS development that I was doing last year, people were concerned about 80K of bloat.

Also, if the overhead to install and run this stuff is that much what happens to people in countries like Indonesia, Malyasia, and Singapore that don't have DSL or Cable connections when they have to get a program. They complain when something is 1 MB never mind a program that will end up being 15-45 MB with run time files on a dial up connection with a max speed of 28.8

Neil