Thread: Upgrade from SCSI to IDE Problems...

Associate

Upgrade from SCSI to IDE Problems...

2 days ago i gutted my linux box from SCSI to IDE, when it was all SCSI the system was completely flawless, but ever since I got my new IDE harddrive (60 gig Western Digital 7200 RPM, ata100) and cd-rw (aopen 20x10x40) i get sudden system freezes, and by that I mean the system stops for about 10 seconds before i can regain control, and also when i ever i transfer a file from my cdrom drive to the harddrive, i get serious system instability. I remember reading about ata66-100 problems with linux, im wondering if that has anything to do with my problem, anyway, any suggestions would be great

Thanks

Re: Upgrade from SCSI to IDE Problems...

Going with the most obvious first, when you (re)compiled, did you disable something that should have been enabled? What distro are you using?

Associate

Ok I think your on to something, when i switched, i completely reinstalled both windows and linux, however the very first thing i did was recompile the default slackware 8.0 /2.4.5 kernel to kernel 2.4.17. however when you said to see if something was disabled I rebooted to my 2.4.5 default kernel (i saved it just in case) and i copies a 450meg file from my cdrom to my harddrive with out a flaw, so I think that i might have missed something in the kernel, so im going to go back and look, if you have any ideas let me know

Thanks

It sounds like you didn't compile dma support into your kernel. You should probably go back and recompile your kernel, unless you dont mind the 10 sec delays ;D

Yeah, I agree with evilestknight. *It's most likely something simple. *Remember Occams Razor- "The most obvious solution is most likely to be the right one" *Let us know how you make out. *;D

Associate

Yeah, It was a kernel problem, i forgot to include a certain driver for my controller card, all good now