Thread: The best bootloader?

The best bootloader?

I'm finishing off my LFS system and instead of LILO, I'm investigating other bootloaders. Specifically XOSL and Grub. I would like to display a picture on startup (While not having the machine idling or loosing any.much bootup time) Which bootloader should I pick? XOSL sounds by far the easiest but is it very fast? Grub is quite hard but I've heard its really good.

Cheers

Kind Mastermind

Re: The best bootloader?

I'm finishing off my LFS system and instead of LILO, I'm investigating other bootloaders. Specifically XOSL and Grub. I would like to display a picture on startup (While not having the machine idling or loosing any.much bootup time) Which bootloader should I pick? XOSL sounds by far the easiest but is it very fast? Grub is quite hard but I've heard its really good.

Cheers
    I use XOSL right now. I don't think that it allows for the use of startup pictures. You would have to look at the faq for that. I really love using XOSL, it is my favorite bootloader. I will say this, though, you will still need to use grub or lilo, as I don't think that XOSL has a native capacity to boot linux without a linux bootloader (of course, I could be wrong).

I triple boot Win98, WinNT, and Slackware. XOSL sends the os boot information to ntloader when I boot into WinNT and lilo when I boot Slack. I then have to specify which option I want to boot (rescue, floppy, linux, windows for lilo, NT4 and NT4/VGA mode for ntloader).

lilo has the ability to display a startup picture IIRC
    check out hints.linuxfromscratch.org
    i'm pretty sure there's a hint about that

I use lilo... because.... well I can't for my life see why I should go to the trouble of installing another one - even though I like grub.

and SuSE has a patch to allow LILO to load pics on startup.

I use grub... Lilo is no longer under active development, and there are some issues that will never be resolved because of this.

I enjoy using grub, and it has FAR more features than lilo, or at least it seems like that.....

PLUS it allows for the user of OTHER boot loaders, after the grub loader, so win2k boot loaders or whatever, all still work.

I might try grub when I get a chance to reinstall my LFS system.

Though, I'm perfectly happy with lilo. I see nothing really wrong with it.