Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

give me hardware specs
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: give me hardware specs

Hybrid View

give me hardware specs

so my boss says - pick out any machine you want, we'll buy it and you can turn it into an apache webserver. we want to convert our current webserver to linux - it's a mac now running some filemaker pro db's w a lasso interface. we want it to be a apache running php/mysql. give me some ideas.

thanks

Re: give me hardware specs

give them your desktop machine - put apcahe on that. *

then get yourself a dual amd TYAN mb w/ 1G of memory, *a 2 huge hard drives... here i would go for SCSI, 2 NICs, um..
    oh yea - this would be a real nice server...

a nice sound blaster live, *and a nvidia card. *

I would go dual AMD, 2 gb of ram, SCSI HDs (Large and fast), a cheap AGP videocard, like a Radeon/Riva128 or something, and a freshly compiled 2.4.18-pre3-mjc3 "kernel of the gods edition" kernel.
    Two good nics, no wait, those are included on the Tyan mobo, 100 MBit.

and for my troubles posting this I would like a Radeon 7500 as consultants fee...... mail me for details

I have a Compaq ML370 which currently runs sendmail, apache, mysql/php, ftp, pop3 and acts as a portal to our terminal server farm. We support about 500 users and are a small college, so so we take an ok amount of hits but nothing like an e-commerce site would. Also, mysql/php is only supporting a small bbs.

My hardware specs:
    (aside from what comes standard with the ML370)
    dual pIII 700
    512Mb RAM
    3- 18Gb hotswap drives drives on a Smart Array controller (raid 5)

It's been running along for abotu a year and I have never had any performance problems. It doesn't take much to run apache, but what you need to determine is how much activity will your MySQL server take (what is it actually going to be doing) and how many hits do imagine you age going to get during an average, as well as peak, period.

I would go dual AMD, 2 gb of ram, SCSI HDs (Large and fast), a cheap AGP videocard, like a Radeon/Riva128 or something, and a freshly compiled 2.4.18-pre3-mjc3 "kernel of the gods edition" kernel.
    Two good nics, no wait, those are included on the Tyan mobo, 100 MBit.

and for my troubles posting this I would like a Radeon 7500 as consultants fee...... mail me for details
    that's the most hardcore so far, so i'm going to price this out.
    what's the advantage of dual nics? clustering?

that's the most hardcore so far, so i'm going to price this out. *
    If this is a production server, I would go with redundancy, definately some sort of RAID array (1 or 5) at minimum, maybe a tape drive (unless you can back it up over the network). I would I'll second the vote for fast (7,600rpm or better) SCSI drives, hotswappable if you can get them. You definately should go with a RAID controller. I cannot stress that enough. As for video card, who cares. You shouldn't run X at all. I just take whatever comes with the server. You don't want less than a 133Mhz bus.

Whether or not you want to use dual processors or a ton of RAM depends on what apache is going to be serving. For web apps or a SQL server that processes a ton of transactions, you'll need more system resources. If you're going to serve static pages to a limited audience, and only run apache, you don't really need that much hardware. Also, unless you have a huge MySQL database, how much drive space could you need? Not much at all. You'll have maybe two users on the box, root and a less privledged user. And, if you're MySQL database is really that large, I would drop it on a second box dedicated to that job alone.

Choose the right box for the job. If this is for production you need to plan for maximum uptime and disaster recovery as much as anything else.

I guess the question is, how many hits do you currently get per day? What exactly will your MySQL server be doing? Are you going to offer ftp or anything else that would necessitate tons of storage? *You really need to sit down and capacity plan based upon what you now offer, how it fails at its job, and what you like to offer. Don't buy too much just cause you can. It's a waste.

that's the most hardcore so far, so i'm going to price this out.
    NIC bondage.... imagine the power... Now what about my consultants fee... I want that GFX card !

(7,6000rpm or better)
    d00d... that's ultra sweet... 76000 RPM, with that HD you will be a great disturbance in the gravitational force !

d00d... that's ultra sweet... 76000 RPM, with that HD you will be a great disturbance in the gravitational force !
    hehehe. Yeah, that's fast isn't it. Ok, maybe drop a zero off that number.

hehehe. Yeah, that's fast isn't it. Ok, maybe drop a zero off that number.
    I want some of those SCSI 10.000 RPM HDs, a good SCSI controller and a ultra ninja sweet dual Athlon rig.

And then I would looking a koolance case (www.koolance.com) to cool my baby !