Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

background processes

Thread: background processes

background processes

hii .. my first day here .. (:

i was just wondering how can we set user background processes limitation ? like bnc ,bots etc .. like shell companys do .. just trying to learn some administration here .. how do get a warm welcome with the appropriate answer 8)

Re: background processes

hi blackjack,
    i use nice e.g. nice -19 mozilla & would start up mozilla with very low priority.

while i have been scolded before for welcoming new people i will worry about that later

Welcome to LJR! I hope we can be of help.

Head on over to the members section and see what LoveChild has cooking for you in the way of a random question.

I think (from previous IRC conversation) he is looking for a way to limit the amount of processes a person logged in can start. To save them from having thier CPU hijacked by somebody with a shell account.

Correct me if I'm wrong though....

oh! he wishes to stop other people from having too much CPU bandwidth.
    well i am pluck outta answers there...

thanks KP

Good Guru

I may be all screwey on this one, but couldnt there be a way to nice all processes to a predefined number based on the group the login is in?

I mean if the group 'local' is set to have normal access and 'shellusers' are not, couldnt 'shellusers' be set to nice at a -5 or something somehow?

They're not talking about nicing tasks, they're talking about outright limiting the number that a person is allows to launch. I don't have a clue how to do that, though.

well .. pal i still dont think you have been able to comprehend what am asking for .. look like when we buy shells they allow us to run two bots and one bnc .. which are all background processes .. what am askiing here is .. how do they limit the number of such background processes or shall i say daemons ? ( like bnc and bots are ) ..
    do we have to configure pamd for that ?
    this is the question whose answer am searching for last 2 weeks .. hope someone come up with a better clue .

hii .. my first day here .. (:

i was just wondering how can we set user background processes limitation ? like bnc ,bots etc .. like shell companys do .. just trying to learn some administration here .. how do get a warm welcome with the appropriate answer 8)

hmm .. maybe you could write a bash script thats checking for the background processes of a user, and when there are more than 2 the other processes get killed. You could run this script every 5 minutes or so from cron...