Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Planning

Thread: Planning

Planning

I just ordered Libranet 2.0, and I have a question; I'll explain. I have 2 hard drives, and I'm triple booting Win98 (5 Gb partition hda1, hda2.) hda3 is a dos-formatted 9.5 Gb partition I've been saving for use as either a storage partition for scanned photos in dos, or for the distro I just ordered. Hda is a 7200 R.P.M. Maxtor 15 Gb udma-66 drive. Hdb1 is LibraNet 1.9.0 upgraded to "Woody" with a 2.4.16 kernel. I managed to break apt-get last night, so its future is uncertian. Hdb5 is CorelLinux 1.2, old, outdated, and not very popular, but I like WP8, and configuring my printer is a snap in this distro. Hdb is an 8.4 Gb Maxtor 5400 R.P.M. udma-33 drive.
    Now, here's my question, with a kicker. How much advantage will I loose by installing LibraNet 2.0 on hdb? The transfer rate is obviously slower, but will it be noticable? When I say installing on hdb, I mean giving the whole drive over to LibraNet, and getting rid of the 2 distros on it.
    Here's the kicker, and the reason for this question. I've applied to be a beta tester for xandros, and I'm thinking that it should be on hda, assuming I'm chosen. I would think that this will be a pretty stable beta distro, given the time they've had to "tweak" it, so I'm not real concerned about problems, given the success I've had with CorelLinux (its NEVER crashed on me, except when I did something stupid.) If I'm not selected as a beta tester, I've still got a large dos partition to use as storage for scanned photos. Opinions???

Re: Planning

I would visit the libranet help list and get a good idea if you will have any troubles with this plan. There seems to be a few bugs with the install and with upgrading. I am sure that you will want to be clear on how these could affect you or how to tackle them when they arise.

Good Guru

Re: Planning

How much advantage will I loose by installing LibraNet 2.0 on hdb? *The transfer rate is obviously slower, but will it be noticable? *When I say installing on hdb, I mean giving the whole drive over to LibraNet, and getting rid of the 2 distros on it.
    It's hard to measure how much advantage you will lose but I'm sure you will lose some for putting that on slower HDD mahcine. And also depending on the amount of RAM you have, up until you start using swap space, the only thing it will effect you is when you boot up.

If I were you though, I would the DOS partition on HDA and make the whole HDB the data drive ( after all, you dont' acess data as much as you access your OS unless you are running some kind of service such as database on it ). Even leaving separate the OS and data make it also easier for reinstalls. In fact, that's how most of my boxes are configured especially my web server. I can reinstall all I want and not loose my website data.