Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

cant get online with cox.net isp  PLS HELP

Thread: cant get online with cox.net isp  PLS HELP

Hybrid View

cant get online with cox.net isp  PLS HELP

i did just fine with drake 8.1 and excite@home, but they went bankrupt., now my isp is cox.net.
    i open draknet, the internet connection wizard. i check the box autodetect. next window i have a choice: cable connection or lan connection, and ive tried each one. then next page, I check auto ip. next page: it shows host name as
    localhost/localdomain. CONNECTION FAILED!
    PS: hardware and connection are good. im now online
    using evil-empire m$ windoze . Help!!!
    ps: drake 8.1 recognizes my 3com905 card as a
    3com59x card.

Re: cant get online with cox.net isp *PLS HELP

I'm not sure if cox still requires it, but did you put in the hostname that the install technician gave you when you first got @home? Mine was something like cx619232-z or something. The dhcp server wouldn't assign you an address unless it was set right. So make sure that your hostname is set correctly. I can't get more specific because I use a cable router/firewall type thing and it handled the switch transparently to me.

And it's normal to detect your NIC as a 3c59x. That's the driver module for both 3c590's and 3c905's.

Re: cant get online with cox.net isp  PLS HELP

hello,
    does COX use DHCP or PPPoE for an setup to thier network?

Re: cant get online with cox.net isp  PLS HELP

If they use dhcp then you may have to pass the hostname to the dhcp server like Kuma-san said. You can try doing it manually...

your_shell>dhcpcd -h cj3134456

where cj3134456 is the hostname they gave you and dhcpcd is your dhcp client daemon. However, they probably don't use dhcp so this is all worthless...sorry

yes. cox.net does use dhcp, so this advice was xactly
    what i needed. will try it tonite . thanx!

Well, did it work? (hopefully if you can answer, it did)

followup: yes, the problem was host name,
    cox.net now has hostnames in the format
    mywifesname.sd.cox.net
    I got no help from cox:
    "we dont support routers"
    "we dont support linux"
    "me: whats my host name?
    cox tech support: (silence)
    me : whats my domain name?
    cox tech support: (silence )"
    im finally back online with drake 8.1 again ;D ;D ;D