Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Root file system error... Oops.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Root file system error... Oops.

Root file system error... Oops.

I have Linux RH 7.1 and one day I didn't shut it down properly.
    I have Windows 98 and 2k Pro so I boot Linux up from a boot disk. Here is what I get now when I try to boot into Linux.

Is says I have a Root File System Error and a Check is forced.
    Next I get Missing '..' in directory inode 50404.
    Then I get Fsck failed, run manually with either -a or -p options.
    I have typed Fsck with both options and nothing happens, any ideas?

Re: Root file system error... Oops.

what exact fsck string did you issue?

what exact fsck string did you issue?
    I don't know any fsck strings so I just tried it once with fsck -a and then fsck -p.

hello,
    I have had this happen to me when my drive was connected to a UDMA100 controller, I did not use any options, I just did a fsck /dev/hdXN and at one point i needed to let fcsk go 3 times before all the fixes were done.

hello,
    I have had this happen to me when my drive was connected to a UDMA100 controller, *I did not use any options, I just did a fsck /dev/hdXN and at one point i needed to let fcsk go 3 times before all the fixes were done.
    So I can type "fsck /dev/hdXN" excatly? Minus the "" of course. Also what excatly does this do? I want to understand what I am doing as well, instead just hitting buttons.

hello,
    the X and N need to be replaces with the correct partition number and drive designation - of course many people have ms format on the first partions and linux on the 5th on the master drive connected to the primary IDE controller, if this is you case you could type fcsk /dev/hda5 - you should be able to see which partions are linux by typing cat /etc/fstab , which hopefully you have access to, the 1st column lists the partition (in most cases..., they can tru get fancy and it may say label).

Hey thanks a bunch it worked!

But when I did finally get into Linux gnome gave me errors the entire time I was logged on. I finally had to quit, since I couldn't do much anyway.

I seem to have misplaced my Linux CDs for the moment, but I will find them. Is it possible to just reinstall GNOME from the CDs?

that should work, it may be possible the files in your home directory were trashed, i would try rm -rf ~/.gnome* first

that should work, *it may be possible the files in your home directory were trashed, *i would try rm -rf ~/.gnome* first
    I did some looking around and it appears that all of the GNOME files have been renamed and placed in the lost&found directory. Is there anyway to recover them?

hi super-newbie!
    for gnome there should be a little icon which looks like televsion with a foot on it, or i think you can can right click on the screen and there is an option which says 'run terminal' or something similar. rm can be used by anyone, root needs to be careful when using it.