Thread: Problem booting with 2.4 kernel  and ext3

Problem booting with 2.4 kernel  and ext3

Hello

I get the following error when i start my computer:

request_module[block-major-3]: Root fs not mounted
    VFS: Cannot open root device "301" or 3:01
    Please append a correct "root=" boot option
    Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 3:01

What's going on? Originally, I had kernel 2.2 on my debian system with ext2. I decided I wanted to try using ext3. I used the tunefs... line. Then someone told me I needed a newer kernel to have ext3. So apt-get installed the kernel package for 2.4.17 for 586s. *That's when I started getting these errors. I've added initrd=/initrd.img to my lilo.conf.

Online, someone told me that this was happening because the new kernel I got couldn't mount the ext3 root directory. They said my system needed to mount the root directory before it mounted the ext3 module. So I tried patching my kernel with a debian package for 2.4x kernels. I installed it, but I still get the same error.

my root=/dev/hda1 which is correct.

Is the person online right? I'm a little lost here. All I really know for sure is that when i start my computer I get the above error. I'm not even sure ext3 is installed correctly.

Others tell me I need to recompile the kernel. Didn't apt-get install do that for me? How would I do it now? How do I get to login with 2.4?

Let me know if there is any information I can give you. Thanks.

Re: Problem booting with 2.4 kernel  and ext3

Yeah, you don't have ext3 support compiled into the kernel. Having it as a module naturally has to result in a kernel panic: The kernel starts and wants to mount the root partition. That is ext3. ext3 support is in a module that resides on the root partition -> panic!

What you can do to start nonetheless is to change the fs-type entry in /etc/fstab for the root filesystem back to ext2. ext2 and ext3 are compatible so that a cleanly unmounted ext3 filesystem can be handled by the ext2 driver.

Now you either compile your kernel with ext3 support, (apt-get doesn't compile the kernel, it download and installs packages) or you apt-get the proper kernel that has ext3 support compiled into the kernel. Try apt-cache search kernel-image to see what's available. Some package description should mention ext3 support.

Re: Problem booting with 2.4 kernel *and ext3

Hi,

I tried dselecting *a "proper kernel that has ext3 support compiled into the kernel."

Now when I boot my system, I get

LILO 22.1 Loading LInuxEBDA too big

What does that mean? What do I do to boot correctly?

Thanks.

What do you mean you 'tried dselecting ...'? What did you do? What kernel image did you choose. Was it installed right? does it have a lilo.conf entry? Did you re-run lilo?

EBDA=Extended BIOS Data Area

"What do you mean you 'tried dselecting ...'?"

It means I ran dselect, the package management tool for debian, and selected a 2.4.x kernel package with included support for ext3. Dselect is supposed to install packages easily and automatically.

Was it installed right?
    I did not get any error messages

does it have a lilo.conf entry?
    I believe Dpkg makes one. In any case, yes it does have a lilo.conf entry.

Did you re-run lilo?
    Yes.

It means I ran dselect, the package management tool for debian,
    Hmmm, last time I checked, dpkg was debian's package management tool. Oh well.

It wouldn't hurt if you were a bit more explicit. Again, what kernel did you choose (I want the package name). How does your /etc/lilo.conf look like.

Also try experimenting a bit. apparently you have a working kernel to boot up. If it has modular ext3 support try using a partition other than the root partition as ext3. Does that work?

Good Guru

Dselect is the front end for dpkg.

Dselect will not make the LILO entry for you. It will just prepared you the kernel and its image in the /boot directory. You will have to manually set the entry and re-run LILO.