Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19
Connect to internet

Thread: Connect to internet

Connect to internet

Dear all,

I have a problem using 'aptitude', the ssh shell outputs an error telling me it cannot get to the ubuntu web address to download the package. I believe it is because I did not set the internet connection correctly. So here is my config (I believe it is the most basic one):

I use the ssh shell over the wifi AP provided by my plug computer. I connected the ethernet port to my home router, note that this router correctly sees the plug, provides it with an IP address via DHCP and the other computers connected to the router use the internet with no problem at all.

As this did not work I had a look at my /etc/network/interfaces file and it shows:

# Used by ifup( and ifdown(. See the interfaces(5) manpage or
    # /usr/share/doc/ifupdown/examples for more information.
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto eth1
    iface eth1 inet dhcp

I believe this is the most basic setup, isn't it? You have any idea of where I could go wrong? Or what I could check?

Regards,

Antoine.

I found out what was going wrong actually.

The internet was working ok, as shown using a ping on google:

Code:
    ping -c 1 www.google.fr

I am using a computer with an ARM architecture called a DreamPlug which turns out to be using Ubuntu 9.04.

Ubuntu for ARM architecture is no longer maintained (probably for some strategic reason which are not relevant here) and it turns out that the ubuntu servers that are used for the package management (the ones used when runnind commands 'aptitude' and 'apt-get') are not the same for the maintained version and the unmaintained version.

These servers are specified in file /etc/apt/sources.list, which is the file you should change to get access to the packages update via 'apt-get' back. The three servers initially indicated (for maintained versions) have the url 'http://ports.ubuntu.com/' which you should replace by the url for unmaintained versions 'http://old-release.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/'.

This is all coming out of this site.

Thanks for you help guys, you would not have found out without your help!

Antoine.