Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rights to a Fat32 folder

Hybrid View

Rights to a Fat32 folder

Hi,
    I'm fairly new at Linux and I am having some issues which seem to be rights-related. I am running a WinXP/Slackware box. *I mounted hdb, a fat32 hard disk, as /shared. *As root, I can access all files in there with full permisions. *However, as a regular user, I can only read some of the files (I can't play the mp3's stored there...)
    I tried login as root and doing chmod 777 /shared, chown [/b]username
    [/b]/shared
    (I get an error saying "Operation not permited.)
    I assume it must be a rights issue. *Anyone has a clue? ???

Mentor

Re: Rights to a Fat32 folder

Hello,

This seems to be a common problem for people new to Linux.

Make sure the drive is not mounted, then as root edit your /etc/fstab file by adding the following line:

/dev/hdb1 /share vfat defaults,user,noauto,rw 0 2

Then as normal user issue the following command:
    mount /share

That should take care of the problem.

(I get an error saying "Operation not permited.)
    I assume it must be a rights issue. Anyone has a clue? ???
    You can't chmod a fat32 disk, the filesystem doesn't support it (stupid insecure windows disks! )

Do what cloverm said, should work fine.

If you have XP, you should really consider switching to NTFS, even though Linux can't write to it safely. Safe reads from a hd are really the only thing you need.

Hello,

This seems to be a common problem for people new to Linux.

Make sure the drive is not mounted, then as root edit your /etc/fstab file by adding the following line:

/dev/hdb1 /share vfat defaults,user,noauto,rw 0 2

Then as normal user issue the following command:
    mount /share

That should take care of the problem.

I tried doing that, but I am still getting access denied errors when trying to create files on that fat32 partition. Here is the content of my fstab:
    /dev/hda2 swap swap defaults 0 0
    /dev/hda3 / ext2 defaults 1 1
    /dev/hda1 /wxp ntfs ro 1 0
    /dev/hdb1 /shared vfat defaults,user,noauto,rw 0 2
    none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
    none /proc proc defaults 0 0
    /dev/sbpcd /mnt/cdrom iso9660 user,noauto,ro 1

Any idea? Also, do any of you guys know where can I find a document explaining the fstab rights? I tried reading the man, but it didn't helped me much with the syntax.
    Also, I cannot see anything on my XP partition, which is on NTFS. I can enter the directory, but even as root, it doesn't show me the content.
    Thanks.

Mentor

Try

chmod 777 /shared

as root before anything is mounted on /share.

There is an extensive article about mounting and fstab right here:

http://www.linuxvoodoo.com/newbies/mounting/

Which version of Slackware are you using? Maybe your kernel is only working with the NT4.0 NTFS and not the Win2k (XP) NTFS.

You were right about the NTFS partition. I am using Slackware 8, kernel 2.2.19. I tried to mount the NTFS partition manually, and it came back saying NTFS not supported by kernel. I am getting ready to compile 2.4.18. Do you know if it has support for this NTFS type?
    The chmod worked, letting me write to the fat32 partition. However, I still can't play the mp3's. It crashes the kde media player for some reason, although if I try to do it as root, it plays fine. I also noticed that, as root, when KDE is starting, I hear some music. But when logged in as an user, I don't hear it. Am I missing giving rights to something? Also, how do I make it so that it will mount the partitions automatically?

Good Guru

I tried to mount the NTFS partition manually, and it came back saying NTFS not supported by kernel. *I am getting ready to compile 2.4.18. *Do you know if it has support for this NTFS type?
    The NTFS support needs to be compiled. I have kernel 2.2.20 ( which is default for Debian Woody ), I can access Win2K NTFS fine. But yeah, compiling 2.4 will bring to up to date as well as some issues such as NTFS 5.0 support. Just make sure you compiled NTFS support modules in your kernel.

I still can't play the mp3's. *It crashes the kde media player for some reason, although if I try to do it as root, it plays fine. *I also noticed that, as root, when KDE is starting, I hear some music. *But when logged in as an user, I don't hear it. *Am I missing giving rights to something?
    Yeah, I think it's the problem with your normal user being not able to use the sound device. There are some threads specifically deal with those issues as well but I don't remember what it's ATM since I'm not on my home box. It's something called /dev/dsp or something similar. ( can somebody fill me in?? ) :-/

Also, how do I make it so that it will mount the partitions automatically?
    Change the "noauto" part to "auto". If you have read that article given by Cloverm, you should have known that by now. It's on page 3 of the article... http://www.linuxvoodoo.com/newbies/m.../mounting2.php

HTH...

You were right. *I did a chmod 777 /dev/dsp and it works fine now. *I am still reading that article (kinda busy day today.) * I hope I don't mess it up trying to compile the kernel. *I won't try to until I finish reading the HOWTO.
    Thanks.

Kind Mastermind

You were right. *I did a chmod 777 /dev/dsp and it works fine now. *I am still reading that article (kinda busy day today.) * I hope I don't mess it up trying to compile the kernel. *I won't try to until I finish reading the HOWTO.
    Thanks.
    Take your time when recompiling your kernel. If you need help, feel free to come back here and ask us questions. Plus, you can check out the PET on kernel compiling by pbharris (shameless plug for Paul ;D): http://www.linuxjunior.org/cgi-bin/p...splay&id=9.

BTW...welcome to Linuxjunior.org!