Thread: New to Linux - Please Help

New to Linux - Please Help

Hello everyone. OK so this is what brings me here:

I'm currently pursuing a CCNA certification. I need to use a so called "Eagle Server" to do my lab exercises. I have the Linux Live CD (FEDORA CORE 3 KERNEL 2.6.12) and I have installed it on a laptop that I have (TOSHIBA EQUIUM M50-164, PSM57E). This laptop had Windows XP installed, so I created a 4GB FAT partition and booted with the Live CD. I chose the option installonFAT, then after rebooting (with CD in the tray) I chose runondisk.

Ok, here is my 1st problem: I need the CD in the tray every time I want to run Linux. Without the CD, it boots to Windows XP. Also, according to Eagle Server documentation, any modification to the server is available even after reboot. Well, that is not happening to me. Does someone have a clue why the server doesn't save the modifications? Is it because I need the Live CD to boot, even after I have installed on a FAT partition?

Another problem I have:

I need to connect the Eagle Server to a router using the Fast Ethernet LAN port:

Eagle server supports only 1 network interface card, eth0. When I first run the server it showed me that the hardware mapped to eth0 was my wireless adapter. There is no option to disable it in my BIOS, so I just removed the hardware myself. After rebooting it show eth1394 on eth0. I presume that is the FireWire Adapter.

What can I do so that eth0 is mapped to my LAN adapter (Marvell Yukon 88E8036 PCI-E Fast Ethernet)?

Is there a way do disable FireWire?

Please remember that due to 1st problem above, any changes to the server are not available after reboot

So the main problem is that I can't ping from Eagle Server to the router and vice-versa

If I could get any help on this, I would be greatly appreciated. Please note I'm a beginner in using Linux.

Thank you for your time.

Hi! i'm completely new to everythin in linux including all these terms but i have linux installed on my system which has vista. This is what i did cos i couldnt dual boot. I created an image of the cd in one of my drives, installed a Vmware on my vista, and i run the linux using the vmware. Everything works just well except that i can't use my usb modem(still investigating y). I don't kno if this will satisfy ur need. Like i said, I'm new to this world but i hope that will be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by flame View Post
    Hi! i'm completely new to everythin in linux including all these terms but i have linux installed on my system which has vista. This is what i did cos i couldnt dual boot. I created an image of the cd in one of my drives, installed a Vmware on my vista, and i run the linux using the vmware. Everything works just well except that i can't use my usb modem(still investigating y). I don't kno if this will satisfy ur need. Like i said, I'm new to this world but i hope that will be helpful.
    Thx flame for your reply. It does work fine with Vmware. The problem is that my comp has limited resources (memory..) so it freezes when I run Linux in a virtual environment after a while. So I have this other laptop where I want to use it as a dedicated server.

Thank you for your reply.

I managed to get connectivity by removing eth1394 with rmmod command and then installing linux driver from toshiba website. It is the sk98lin

Still, the server can't save changes after reboot. Anyway I'm happy because I can get connectivity although I have to go through the same steps every time I reboot the server....

Really appreciate your help. Take care.