Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Linux hostname not visible on LAN

Thread: Linux hostname not visible on LAN

Linux hostname not visible on LAN

Hi,

I'm fairly new to Linux, and am setting up a PCLinux install on my LAN, along with a Win7 Home-Premium (no domains) machine.

Everything is pretty good, except that Windows cannot see the Linux box's host name. It can ping it by IP. When I was using DHCP on the PCL box, the router would not show the host name in its DHCP client table. (I'm using a fixed IP for the box now, so it's off the table completely.) Linux can see the Windows shares as samba shares.

I've run this problem every way I have found to, to no avail. I've set the interfaces in samba.conf. I've set the hosts lookup order in dhclient, and included WINS, and switched to DHCP to test it. I've bound the fixed IP to the hostnames in the hosts file. I've changed the WINS settings on the Windows adapter. And I've done a lot of other stuff.

It's strange. There have been times when I could see PCLINUX in Windows Explorer, but it would not allow me to go farther than that. I am completely out of ideas at this point. I have no doubt that this is supposed to be fairly straightforward.

bw,
    p.

For linux to be recognized by the ms system, you have to add the ip (if you are using a static or set ip) or hostname to the C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file.

Thanks. I've done all that and more - much more - and I've given up.

Advisor
    http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Windows7

Someone experiencing the problems you're seeing, and reporting it as fixed: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/75...ws-samba-issue
    Don't worry Ma'am. We're university students, - We know what We're doing.
    'Ruiat coelum, fiat voluntas tua.'
    Datalogi - en livsstil; Intet liv, ingen stil.

Thanks, but I had been there and done that. These fixes make their way into Windows Updates, and then Service Packs. In any case, I made the change manually, to no avail. As I said, I've given up.

then how about running bind as your dns server to resolve ip address to hostname

Thanks, but I gave up. I spend days on end trying to get it to work, and it worked fully once, when I used my Win7 login in Samba. I tried binding IP to hostname, I'm not sure on which end, probably both. But nothing worked. Too bad, I had high hopes for running a linux server.

p.