Thread: Transition from Windows-based network to Linux-based

Question Transition from Windows-based network to Linux-based

I am looking to make the switch from a Windows based network to a Linux (preferably Ubuntu, because I used it the most) based one. Currently the network includes a Windows 2003 server which acts as a domain controller and file server, a network shared printer (Canon 2300N) and 7 clients running Windows. Several other Windows-based clients connect remotely via RDP.

I would like to setup a server to act as a domain controller, file server, and (if possible) terminal server. The clients should be authenticated via the server and have access to the files stored on it (via ssh?).

Here are several points that I was wondering about:
    • All the clients use Outlook, some of the clients run Quickbooks Pro and another program called Tentant File Pro. I was thinking about replacing Outlook with Thunderbird (I contact, calendar, and tasks) and I know that Wine can't run Quickbooks and Tenant File Pro so I may have to use VirtualBox/VMWare because these applications can't be replaced by native Linux versions.
    • I need an adequate backup solution for the files on the server running as a daily backup.
    • Should I use webmin to administer the server?
    • What antivirus / firewall solution should I use for the server and the clients?
    • How can I allow remote clients the login to the server to be able to run applications (Outlook, Browser, Tenant File Pro, etc.) remotely on the server?

What is the best solution for this? And what would be the least painful way of making the transition for the users?

I know this is a lot, but any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Actually, this is fairly simple. Making a Linux server a DC can be done with Samba. Same with the file server implementation. If the 2k3 server is going to continue to exist, I would use it as the primary, and the new one as a secondary. We're talking about a lot of Microsoft services, running on a Linux system, with reverse engineered software. In a production environment, a single update for Windows could stop everything (mainly the AD). Terminal services you can do with LTSP, but I would test, outside the production environment before even considering it.
    arrogance breeds ignorance

Screaming Electron, Full of BSD Goodness

Quote Originally Posted by Kernel_Killer View Post
    Actually, this is fairly simple. Making a Linux server a DC can be done with Samba. Same with the file server implementation. If the 2k3 server is going to continue to exist, I would use it as the primary, and the new one as a secondary. We're talking about a lot of Microsoft services, running on a Linux system, with reverse engineered software. In a production environment, a single update for Windows could stop everything (mainly the AD).
    I'm looking to completely replace the Windows Server. I was told that I cant use "Calculate Directory Server" as an alternative to Active Directory, does anyone know if it's a good replacement?

Terminal services you can do with LTSP, but I would test, outside the production environment before even considering it.
    From what I saw LTSP runs Linux applications remotely, I want the clients to be able to run Windows applications remotely. What would be a proper solution for that?

My two cents worth as a recently weaned Windows user would be just on the subject of anti-virus. Eset were the best for Windows and they make a good solid beta product for ubuntu (and others?). It's not the full security suite that they make for Windows, i.e. it doesn't have a firewall, but as AV it's incomparable... we've run it on windows for years now and have found less spyware than you can count on two hands in that time (which, if you know most AV packages out there is more than impressive). I use FireStarter (which comes bundled [but inactive] with ubuntu 10.10) as a firewall, but have absolutely no idea how good it is... I think that AV is a very important part of getting the two OS's to marry up as you can't call yourself innocent if you're not infected but are nonetheless a carrier, can you? Anyway, a preventative attitude is definitely going to make you more converts as people become aware of how powerful Linux-based systems have become in the past years.