Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Win2k and Linux Dual Boot

Associate

Win2k and Linux Dual Boot

I'm not exactly new to linux, but I have a new box that currently only has Win2k, and it needs to be enlightened (no, not the wm, I prefer ice). I wanna do a Linux/2k dual boot, but I'm not sure exactly how to do it....suggestions, links to RTFM, or whatever, is appreciated.

Re: Win2k and Linux Dual Boot

Basically: Install linux, but don't delete windows in the process. It's a pretty simple. If you're installing one of the easier distros, it'll even set up the dual boot for you, you won't have to muck with lilo.conf. What distro did you want to install?

Associate

Slak 8...I really don't think slak would do it for me, and thats part of why i use it ;D

(please don't suggest debian anyone, I'm not gonna use it)

Dual booting 2K and Linux is not too difficult.
    I'm set up to boot Redhat, Debian or 2K. I just haven't gotten around to putting 2K back on. I may not, unless it's to connect to work <groan>.
    I could really use that partition for Libranet

You could use lilo, and let the install set that up. Seems like you would have to write lilo to the mbr. It shouldn't break 2K iirc...

It might be safer to write lilo to /, probably hda6 if Im guessing right. Boot with a floppy, and then set the NT bootloader to offer Linux. That works pretty slick. You can find the setup for that in either a PET here, or a help file on one of a few other Linux bbs / help sites. If you can't find it ask, I and a few others around here that know how to set that up.

Or for maximum flexibility use xosl, (www.xosl.com) boot practally anything from almost anywhere. That's what I'm using for my boot manager now, and it's not too difficult to set up. It also comes with a partition manager and iirc claims to resize partitions, but I chickened out and made some backup cd's and repartitioned the whole works myself.

Pick a distro, check out the boot options, pick one and go for it.

Good Guru

What I do is two HDDs approach since I don't wanna re-install Win2K on any machine anymore....

Just snap in the second HDD as slave to the primary HDD and then I booted off of Red Hat CD. then install it to that second HDD and then let Linux take care of the boot process ( install Lilo on the MBR ) and off you go.....

I don't see why not Slack can not take care of that for you too. I mean the distro had to make itself bootable and in the process, it can figure it out ......

Hi there
    The slack book in the docs section explains it perfectly.

Mentor

i have a PET out there for this exact subject!!!

http://www.linuxjunior.org/cgi-bin/p...play&id=37

Kind Mastermind

Slak 8...I really don't think slak would do it for me, and thats part of why i use it *;D

(please don't suggest debian anyone, I'm not gonna use it)
    Use GNU/Parted...unless you have cash for System Commander or Partition Magic. You are right, though. Slackware does not use a partitioning tool that can safely repartition a hard drive without erasing everything (which is what I am guessing you meant). SC will resize a partition lickety split, but it costs between 50 and 60 USD.

Good Guru

Slackware does not use a partitioning tool that can safely repartition a hard drive without erasing everything (which is what I am guessing you meant).
    I thought s/he meant that s/she already have disk space to install it and not needing to resize the partition.... :-/

Anyway, you can use FIPS to resize the partition ( since you just said not Debian so ) I would suggest use Red Hat install disk and it has FIPS on the install CD...