Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

web server access problem

Thread: web server access problem

Hybrid View

web server access problem

hey everyone !!!!!
    I have configured apache 2.2 on my machine and been trying to access it through internet(using public ip)...
    I have got a "shiro router" and forwarded the port 80 on it, and tried to access the server using "w**.my_public_ip:80", but all thats appearing is the router's configuration page(the same one that appears on 192.168.1.1).
    Since the above method didn't work so i decided to forward a different port (port:200) and changed the listen port to "200" in httpd conf file, after which i was able to access the server using "w**.my_local_ip:200", but again no success with the public ip, it now says "unable to connect".

note:alongwith ip forwarding i have made the following two changes (and i have no idea what these two settings are for =P)
    1)allow incoming ping
    2)DMZ (demilitarized zone)
    both these were disabled before... and yeh my router is NAT enabled....

Well, I think I have the answer for you!

To access your server from within the same network, you need to add some information to your hosts file.

In Linux, the hosts file is located in... /etc/hosts
    In Windows, the hosts files is located in... C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc\hosts

The hosts file is a file where you can actually tell the web browser where to go when you type in a particular web address.

My web server is IP 192.168.3.2 on my network, but if you are on the outside world, you type in http://ttgale.com

However, when I type in http://ttgale.com on my computer (which is on the same network as the server) I also get my Router login page. I fixed this by doing the following:

Open your hosts file (check above for the normal locations for each OS) and add an entry that looks like this after the IP addresses that are already in there.

192.168.3.2 ttgale.com

Save it, then if you type in the host name, it should load properly now within the network. Change the IP address, and the host name (ttgale.com) to your particular settings, and everything should be fine. You will have to do it to each of the computers in your network that are to access the server using its hostname. You also need to disable it if you are outside the network, eg if you are at school wanting to use your site.

As an example, here is the contents of my /etc/hosts file to show you what it should look like:

Code:
    127.0.0.1    localhost
    127.0.1.1    acerm1800
    192.168.3.2    ttgale.com

# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
    ::1     localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
    fe00::0 ip6-localnet
    ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
    ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
    ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
    ff02::3 ip6-allhosts
    Now when I type in http://ttgale.com on my computers, they load my website rather than my router page!
    My Website:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Website Uptime:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Server Specs: AMD Athlon X2 3800+, 2gb DDR2 RAM, 1.5TB HDD, Ubuntu 9.10
    My Gaming PC: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.93ghz, 4gb DDR2 RAM, 9800GTX+

thxx dude for this valuable info....though it didnt work for me...
    i added this line in the hosts file:
    192.168.1.2 my_public_ip
    saved it and restarted apache.....but again same router page appeared...
    btw i wud like to ask one more quest...
    Is there a way to check if my isp has blocked port 80??
    And if :80 is blocked can i use a different port like :200 to access webserver frm outside by forwarding port :200 from my router and changing the listening port to :200 in httpd.conf????
    Last edited by aimseeker; 02-24-2010 at 11:38 AM.

i forwarded port :80 and :443 for Apache on my "shiro" router...
    but when i try to check if port :80 is open from outside using "PFPortChecker" it generates this message:
    "Could not test port 80 because some other application has that port locked.Please close any applications that may be using this port and try again"
    though it shows port :80 open on UDP protocol.. :-?
    Btw After this message i closed every application from task manager(antivirus,firefox etc) that may be using port 80 but again the same message appeared....
    (1)Does that mean that port :80 is blocked by my ISP on TCP protocol??
    but when i tried a different port checker "Simple port Checker" it shows that "80 is online and can be reached" on the right pane and the same message as "PFPortChecker" on the left pane???

Is port :80 blocked by my isp on TCP or not???

solved

problm solved...
    thxx everyone!!!!

how did you solve it?
    My Website:

My Website Uptime:

My Server Specs: AMD Athlon X2 3800+, 2gb DDR2 RAM, 1.5TB HDD, Ubuntu 9.10
    My Gaming PC: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.93ghz, 4gb DDR2 RAM, 9800GTX+

its solved in a sense that i don't care about it now(though its isnt solved yet)..
    Actually at first i thought that if i cant access my server using my external ip then no one can and all they will get will be my router's page but since i was wrong about that so i dont wana try accessing my server with external ip on my own network!!!!
    thxxx

If you are able to connect to your routers web configuration screen from the Internet, you may want to look further into that. You've put the welcome mat out to be hacked. I'd suggest doing a factory reset on the router.