Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

GUI Interface @ installation

Thread: GUI Interface @ installation

GUI Interface @ installation

When starting the Red Hat installation from my CD, and choosing the graphical installation, all I get is the plain two color GUI, and I have to use the keyboard, I don't get the the other one that one sees in screenshots. Why is that? How do I get the other one?

Re: GUI Interface @ installation

What graphics card and mouse do you have? Are you seeing the ncurses 'dialoug' based installer (red and blue)?

Yes, the red and blue is all I get. Although this is not a problem in itself, but it is just very disconcerting. I'd like to get things right from the start.
    My video card is a Geforce 2, and the mouse is a generic two-button wheel mouse.

What version of Red Hat are you trying to install? The installation you are getting right now is a standard installation, no problem. It's ncurses based (pretty text basically). Most people use the newer anaconda based installer (graphical and mouse) to make it more familiar while installing.

If you can supply a little more information we can most likely help you get it working.

The linux version is Red Hat 7.0. Anaconda does start. But then all I get is a plain interface.
    System Specs:
    AMD Duron 750, integrated sound. geforce2 video.
    Two 20G hard drive. C: has Windows.
    The second hard drive is partitioned as D: ~5G, and
    E: ~15. CD-ROM, CDR, Samtron Monitor, external modem, network card.

It is on the 5G D: drive that I am hoping to install Linux.

Good Guru

How much system RAM? Anything more than 32 or 64 will go graphical. I have a few 32MB systemes I have setup that use the text (ala Slackware) style install.

Good Guru

If his system is that much high end, I would think that it's more than 128 MB of RAM or even 64 MB. It may be due to that of inmature X support in Red Hat 7.0 for Geforce cards. I have nVidia Geforce 256 one and it is very well supported in Red Hat 7.2 . If you are installing Red Hat from scratch, why not just go for the latest Red Hat version ( 7.2 )? Or other wise you will have to upgrade kernels as well as a whole bunch of other packages.

HTH ...

Good Guru

Ive owned a GeForce 256 DDR for several years now -- and it works just fine in RedHat7.x standard install (pre nVidia driver install). Its the system RAM that dictates the usage or not of the X based install.

Trust me -- all of my cards are supported very well in X and not all of my installs even support the X based one.

Good Guru

Ive owned a GeForce 256 DDR for several years now -- and it works just fine in RedHat7.x standard install (pre nVidia driver install).
    Dude, he owns GeForce II, not GeForce 256. I also have GeForce 256 DDR with 32 MB of RAM and there is no problem. But it *may* be of being the GeForce II.

Its the system RAM that dictates the usage or not of the X based install.
    I disagree. I have an ATI Rage II +DVD chip based PCI cards and with system memory of 256 MB, it will not do X install on Red Hat 7.1 . The first Linux distro I've encounter with X install on that chip set was Red Hat 7.2. And that's the main reason I said that it may have to do with the graphic chip not being supported in X version that comes with Red Hat 7.0. Because Red Hat 7.0 still use Xfree86 3.3.6 version, that may play a role as well. But I'm sure many more advanced graphic cards are supported in RH 7.2 with later version of X. So it's not only system memory that affect your install whether you will have X based or not.

Trust me -- all of my cards are supported very well in X and not all of my installs even support the X based one.
    I'm not sure what you mean by this but if you mean that you didn't get X based install but you could get X working after words, then it's true. I've some ATI Mach 64 based 8 MB AGP cards and Red Hat 7.0 didn't support X install but after I've installed it, it works just fine under generic VGA driver..... so ...... It really depends.

I have a geForce II, but was at RH7.2 when I installed mine so I can't say for sure what the install should look like for 7.0. Ncurses wouldn't surprise me a heck of a lot I guess. It seems like mine was graphical but it was on a different machine with a riva128, nVidia also but surely a different chipset.

If you're going to go ahead with 7.0 you will need to look at the Knowledge base or whatever @ redhat.com before you try to compile anything. There are some issues with gcc.