Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962

What mail server to use?

Thread: What mail server to use?

What mail server to use?

I am new to the email server world and am setting up a test website and mail server. I have a domain name already and have apache running for my website. I now want to get an email server setup, but i dont know where to start.

Do I run POP, IMAP, SMTP?? I read up on the differences between the protocols but its confusing.

My goal is to be able to send and receive mail from this server. The email address will be info@domain.com or similar, and I will either use my iPhone or a web based GUI to be able to check and compose new messages.

I believe POP is the way to go for the server side, and I will have to use SMTP to send outgoing messages, at least I think that is correct.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    beemer

You are on the right track. Sendmail / SMTP on the mail server to send mail and a POP/IMAP application like Dovecot running on the mail server so that people can use an email client like Outlook, Window Mail, and Thunderbird to get their mail.

My sites:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    -
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks Peter! I should have looked in the Wiki. thanks again!

-josh

I am a big fan of IMAP email, but I have a MASSIVE (4gb+) account of email, and I like to access the same email on about 5 different pc's
    My Website:

My Website Uptime:

My Server Specs: AMD Athlon X2 3800+, 2gb DDR2 RAM, 1.5TB HDD, Ubuntu 9.10
    My Gaming PC: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.93ghz, 4gb DDR2 RAM, 9800GTX+

Yep, I am a big fan of IMAP, so its QMail with courier-imap for me, mainly because QMail is FAST, and courier-imap has documentation just about everywhere on how to set it up. That, and you don't need to be able to understand sanskrit to read the config file (read:sendmail) :-P
    jro -

Linux counter#:213782
    GnuPG ID: 406238E7

Hey Josephpaul, thats the second post you have put up with a link to 'Dependable Computer Guys LA', you sure your not bot? Your are getting your idioms all wrong too.. :-P
    jro -

josephpaul's ip address is from India but he/she's promoting an outfit in Glendale, California. You are right something is fishy. Josephpaul will be banned and posts removed.

My sites:
    -

Great, now it just looks like I am talking to myself now that you deleted those posts.. :-D
    jro -