Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962

Open Source Wiki - Linuxhomenetworking.org

Thread: Open Source Wiki - Linuxhomenetworking.org

Hybrid View

Open Source Wiki - Linuxhomenetworking.org

Well, I have had the domain linuxhomenetworking.org for some years now and I was wondering what to do with it.

I am thinking of making the domain a wiki like wikipedia for linux topics 100% supported by donations, not ads. Does anyone have any experience in doing this from both a technical and marketing perspective?

My sites:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    -
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I think that it is a great idea...I'll help you if I know something what you need

I have been a part of a couple of sites that have tried this, and its difficult at best. Main reason is its hard to get people to contribute articles without remuneration. You don't necessarily have to pay them, but there has to be some sort of reciprocation. The site benefits by way of increased hits due to a popular article, but the author gets nothing aside from exposure.

I am not sure how you would position the site. There is an angle there, I am just not sure of it off-hand.
    jro -

Linux counter#:213782
    GnuPG ID: 406238E7

My original thought would be to make it a completely separate domain, no ads. So there would be no financial incentive.
    Another option would be to have ads, but make them belong to some Linux non-profit so they get all the proceeds.

My sites:
    -

Peter, correct me if I am wrong, but isn't a large portion of the site already dedicated to Linux tutorials and articles? How would the wiki idea change what is currently here?

Who wrote most of those articles anyway? They are very well written and informative.
    jro -

Linux counter#:213782
    GnuPG ID: 406238E7

I am totally for a Wiki environment, and would contribute for free. I am actually going to University next year to study networking in particular, so I will definately become more knowledgeable! I think the benefit of the wiki is a non static environment. But then again, I suppose it's only as good as its contributors.
    My Website:

My Website Uptime:

My Server Specs: AMD Athlon X2 3800+, 2gb DDR2 RAM, 1.5TB HDD, Ubuntu 9.10
    My Gaming PC: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.93ghz, 4gb DDR2 RAM, 9800GTX+