Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962

Remove unwanted packages and files

Thread: Remove unwanted packages and files

Remove unwanted packages and files

Hello,

There are lot of files and folders which is eating up the disk space and looking at them all of them are important files.

What files/folders should i delete to to reclaim my disk space? (Which means if i delete these files, there is no harm to the server like /tmp, /var/log directory etc.. not sure which files to clear)

Any advise would be helpful.

Unless you use your logs in some script you can compress the files in /var/log very easily by adding the compress option to the /etc/logrotate.conf file. The dateext option will also add the date on which the log was compressed to the filename.
    Code:
    compress
    dateext
    You can reduce the number of copies of log files by changing the rotation frequency. In this case 7 days are being kept.

Code:
    rotate 7
    daily
    To activate the changes immediately run the command
    Code:
    logrotate -f /etc/logrotate.conf

My sites:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    -
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

what about downloaded packages? I know that apt-get caches files that you have downloaded and installed, and deleting those might save you some space. I don't know where its actually stored though...
    My Website:

My Website Uptime:

My Server Specs: AMD Athlon X2 3800+, 2gb DDR2 RAM, 1.5TB HDD, Ubuntu 9.10
    My Gaming PC: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.93ghz, 4gb DDR2 RAM, 9800GTX+

Quote Originally Posted by beezlebubsbum View Post
    what about downloaded packages? I know that apt-get caches files that you have downloaded and installed, and deleting those might save you some space. I don't know where its actually stored though...
    apt-get clean

or if on Red Hat, "yum clean all".

Also, "rm -f /var/log/*.[0-9]*" should be safe to run. The OP should use visit the directories /var, /usr, etc. and run "du -sk *" to determine what is taking up the most space. I wouldn't worry about /tmp. Unless the system is having some significant uptime, that gets flushed.