Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

MySQL install/setup

Thread: MySQL install/setup

MySQL install/setup

I am in the middle of setting up MythTV and am working on getting MySQl setup at this point. I have never worked with this software before so I am a bit lost.

I installed mysql using yum, packages installed, and started the service. Good so far.

These are the commands I used from here:
    mysql -u root
    delete from mysql.user where not (host="mythtv.localhost" and user="root");
    (i edited the host= field to my hostname)
    FLUSH PRIVILEGES;

SET PASSWORD FOR 'root'@'mythtv.localhost' = PASSWORD('mypass');
    (again i changed the @hostname field to my hostname and set my own password)
    FLUSH PRIVILEGES;

update mysql.user set user="mythdbadmin" where user="root";
    FLUSH PRIVILEGES;

At this point, I am still logged into mysql. I want to test to make sure I can get back in, so I logout,
    and try to log back in using:
    mysql -u mythdbadmin -p
    now it prompts me for the password, enter password and I get this error message:
    ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'mythdbadmin'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

So after looking at it, I realized its not setting the correct hostname. Ok, lets try to fix thatL
    mysql -u mythdbadmin -p -h mythtv.localhost
    prompts for me the password again, enter password, and now I get this error:
    ERROR 1130 (HY000): Host 'localhost' is not allowed to connect to this MySQL server

So i do some google searching and see that MySQL by default looks at the first entry in the /etc/hosts file for its hostname.
    So I change the first entry to my hostname I have setup for this computer.
    Save the file. Restart mysqld, try it again... same results.

I can certainly remove the package and start again but I am curious to know what I am doing wrong.

Any and all help is appreciated.

basically I want to rename the root user account to mythdbadmin and then change the host from localhost to mythtv.localhost

thanks
    -josh

couldn't you change the user mythdbadmin to have root privileges rather than removing root altogether?
    My Website:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Website Uptime:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Server Specs: AMD Athlon X2 3800+, 2gb DDR2 RAM, 1.5TB HDD, Ubuntu 9.10
    My Gaming PC: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.93ghz, 4gb DDR2 RAM, 9800GTX+

i erased and reinstalled and setup using the default localhost. It also has an interactive setup that acquired the correct hostname.
    I also took your advice and kept root, and just created another privlidged user account.

Thanks
    Josh

woot, good to hear it all worked out for you josh!
    My Website:

My Website Uptime:

My Server Specs: AMD Athlon X2 3800+, 2gb DDR2 RAM, 1.5TB HDD, Ubuntu 9.10
    My Gaming PC: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.93ghz, 4gb DDR2 RAM, 9800GTX+